Can anybody help?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by John P, Sep 16, 2015.

1. John P

John P New Member

img001.jpg img002.jpg
    I have recently acquired this coin from a relative. Can anybody tell me about its and give me an idea on its value please

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

This looks like a slightly banged up copper of Leopold I from Belgium. Not worth much, probably $2-3 whole sale.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

do a search on Ebay.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

A medal, a coin has a denomination on it, for example: "One Cent"

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@John P

As others have mentioned, it is a medal rather than a coin.

The only thing I can add is that it was designed by the French medalist, Valentin Maurice Borrell. He was born on July 24, 1804 and died on March 29, 1882. He served as an apprentice to the Engraver-General of the French Mint, J. J. Barre.

Borrell designed his first portrait medal in 1828, but this specimen is not mentioned in his list of works.

By the way, the letter "F" after his name is commonly used by many European medalists as an abbreviation for the Latin word "fecit" which translates roughly to "He made it!" Some people think it represents the first name.

Chris

Daniel Jones and paddyman98 like this.
  8. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

It's not a rough translation, it IS the translation (in Latin): he made (it), used in the fields of art, sculpture, and architecture for the most part.

edit / inscribed in French:
    "Belgium, after having gained its independence in 1830, is ranked among nations in 1831"

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    paddyman98 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The reason I said "roughly" is because it can be interpreted in more than one way depending on the type of artist mentioned. For example, it might be used with "Gauguin fecit", meaning "Gauguin painted it" or "Michelangelo fecit" meaning "Michelangelo sculpted it". It is, for this reason, considered a rough translation.

Chris

10. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Maybe so. My Latin teacher did not tolerate "rough" translations, and after all, she was born before Marcus Aurelius. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted