Can Ancients & Medivals be done affodably?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AnemicOak, Apr 10, 2006.

1. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Can Ancients & Medievals be done affordably?

I’ve been checking out some of GDJMSP’s recommended dealers & as much as I like US coins I think I like Ancients & Medieval (as well as older world coins) better. It kind of fits with some of my favorite history topics, that being Ancient Greece, Alexander, Persian’s, the Crusades, 100 Years War, Punic Wars, Teutonic’s, Romans (a little), etc.

Up until now I figured those type of coins were to costly to collect, at least in decent condition, but looking at what some of these dealers have to offer I’m not so sure of that assumption. It seems there are ample coins out there in the $30 - $300 range. Not gold of course, but possibly some silver.

Am I right? Is this something worth exploring further or do I need to be able to spend $1,000+ a coin to get anything good? By good I mean mainly condition. I like coins that aren’t worn down to practically slug status.

I’ve done the uncleaned Roman & Greek route & it’s definitely not for me. When I was doing the uncleaneds I bought the ‘Dirty Old Coins’ id database CD-ROM & a book called ‘The Handbook of Roman Imperial Coins’ by David Van Meter. Is this book considered good? I know the folks on one of the uncleaned’s Yahoo groups recommended it.

I'm trying to find my niche before I start really buying stuff & appreciate the time you all have taken to answer my questions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

http://www.stacks.com/viewcat.php?auction=CG0406&s_search=greek+coins&s_submit=Go
    http://members.aol.com/AkropolisZ/
    Search down the lists some are very expensive others are not if you scroll long enough.
    I can not endorse either but these are just two of many websites to search thru to find the one coin in ten being offered that might be in your price range.

Of course it might be wiser thru to stay with GD's reccommended dealers, submit a wish list and be patient rather then to go fishing in untested waters.

4. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Thanks for the links Andy, I'll check them out. I know there is stuff in the range I'm talking about & splurging for gold someday in the far future isn't out of the question either, I just want to make sure if I get into this that all the 'cool' coins don't cost $2,500 or something. A lot of the $30-$300 stuff looks nice to me, but I'm still learning.

For example a couple of coins I'd consider cool would be a Greek Owl Coin & some type of Alexander The Great coin, etc. (sorry I don't know the proper names). Can decent versions of these be had for say $100? $200? more???

Of course what I think is cool might change once I actually know something. :rolleyes:

Thanks

5. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

6. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Thanks for the link Bone. I see lots of nice looking stuff in my prive range.

7. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

8. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Thanks Willie! I used to go to that Wild Winds site when I was messing with uncleaneds, but couldn't remember the exact name. I appreciate the link.

9. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I've been collecting for about 5 years and in addition to U.S. coins,I became interested in medieval hammered coins and ancients.I now have at least 300-400 from 560BC to the time of Shakespeare and from dozens of countries,states and kingdoms.95% of my ancients cost under $50 and 75% under $30.Like you,I later decided to add some really nice Greek silver "BIG" coins and some celtic and Byzantine gold.These cost about $300-400 but I only have a few that are this pricey.So the answer is YES,you can do it without mortgaging your home.

Attached Files:

10. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Nice stuff Mikjo0! Are those Harris holders the coins are in? You're collection sounds a lot like what I'm talking about.

Thanks

-

11. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Yes they are Harris/Whitman holders.I've found that if you buy all the U.S. coin sizes,one will fit almost any ancient or medieval coin.If not,you can buy airtight holders and remove the black foam insert of the right size and this will fit perfectly into a Sacagewea holder. Some dealers sell them or you can get them from their website.I put them into pages made for 2x2's 12 per page,also available at coin shops and then into three ring binders,the kind that zip closed (Staples).When this is done,I label them using Microsoft Word,scissors and Elmers glue.Good luck with the collection.
    Here is a page of medieval hammered silver coins featuring Crusader coins,Richard the Lionheart,Louis IX,Henry III,Alexander III and Robert the Bruce (Scotland) and Edward I Longshanks.Tons 'O fun!!

Attached Files:

12. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Brian,if you are interested in Ancient British coins,then here's a link; www.celticcoins.com .

Aidan.

Draft saved Draft deleted