Can a coin lose value in a TPG holder ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mpcusa, Nov 23, 2021.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Have been wondering about this for sometime if a coin can actually lose
    value in a TPG holder, such as undesirable toning affecting value
    any thoughts.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Very disappointing but a couple of my Zincolns have toned the wrong way in their ANACS holders and my coins are stored properly. I feared this might happen just because of the composition and warned about it in the past. Best to get rid of most Lincolns after 1982 just because of this. JMHO.

MIGuy and Kentucky like this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I had an MS65 SLQ grow black spunge inside a TPG holder. I know that copper can change in a holder. But I think your question isn't entirely fair. Coins gain or lose value based upon market trends and (should) have little to do with the holder.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Just wait a few years, if nothing happened in 5 years it's probably fine. The big coin flip is the brand new ones

Inspector43 and tommyc03 like this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

But...if a coin is labeled red on the holder and is now turning brown it does affect the value based on the original red attribution. Now it is red/brown.

7. mpcusa

well basically if it turns ugly inside the
    holder it will affect the grade and desirability of the coin is the point
    I am trying to make.

tommyc03 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Slabs protect against mechanical damage, but they don't stop time. More to the point, they don't keep out humidity, oxygen, and other chemically-active gases.

markr, NSP, MIGuy and 2 others like this.
  9. baseball21

There's definitely different values for different companies but yea spot on the market is what determines everything

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

No, but when you find a very old holder (think 20-30 years) with a nice looking white coin in it, you can probably rest assured that, if properly stored, that coin will look just about the same in another 20-30 years.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  11. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

This thing all things devours:
    Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
    Gnaws iron, bites steel;
    Grinds hard stones to meal;
    Slays king, ruins town,
    And beats high mountain down.

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Time?

messydesk likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You’re buying the coin, not the holder so yes, it can do down in value. Just because it’s in a holder is no guarantee of it’s value.

14. ddddd

ddddd Member

That was the example that came to mind too.

However, if that same coin was raw and changed color (which a red cent could easily do whether raw or slabbed), it would also lose value. The question would be in what state would it lose more value (a raw coin degrading or a slabbed coin degrading)?

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, but it doesn't have anything to do with the TPG holder. Put another way, it's not the holder causing it !

When you're talking about coins - it's air.

16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Over time.

17. mpcusa

18. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

in or out of a tpg slab, a coin given enough time is going to tone, and regardless of any of that, it will gain or lose value based on the current market conditions, in or out of a tpg holder. Look at Modern MS67-68s, when there's one they command huge prices, but as more appear, the values drop substantially, or if a new top pop coin appears, same thing.

eye appeal to buyers and what the market is is what matters for values. if there's nicer coins available or cheaper prices, your coin isn't going to sell for top dollar.

over time coins are going to tone, or not, who knows all depends on environment and length of time, they also go through phases and look good or bad depending on how far it's toned and what phase it's in, I've even seen some pretty, appealing, dark purple to black silver morgan and peace dollars, still MS and not circulated that hadn't gotten quite to that flat black totally terminally toned that I personally thought looked amazing,,, to me.

those black spots called carbon spots everyone hates, or milk spots even, those are value killers on slabbed coins in my opinion.

19. baseball21

Most will very true. The slab will slow it down though, that's the best way for coins to be stored. Obviously not everything is worth sending there but its far superior to an album or flip

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I understand that. My point is, it's not the holder causing the grade to change - it's the air ! There is no such thing as an airtight coin holder, they simply do not exist.

Derek2200 and mpcusa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted