Can A Coin Ever Be Worth Less Than Face Value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by FitzjamesHorse, Mar 22, 2015.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

That reminds me of the dirty corroded clad coins that I find metal detecting lol.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzjamesHorse

FitzjamesHorse New Member

I usually have both Euros and Sterling. So do most people in my locality.
    As a matter of course Banks charge a commission on currency (notes) but Credit Unions do not charge commission.
    I take the point that the Euro might have ruined the "face value" trade in Britain but I wonder if world wide travel, Euros and decimalisation has given impetus to coin collecting, possibly at the expense of Stamp Collecting.
    Certainly in the 1960s I would only ever have seen British and Irish coins, both accepted alongside each other in shops and banks and I would never have seen a "foreign" coin.
    There was also little incentive to collect as apart from "date" there was no difference between Irish coins.
    Likewise apart from the Monarch and "date" there was no difference in British coins. In the 1960s it was certainly possible to find a very faded Victorian penny in my pocket...but generally speaking it would be George VII or Elizabeth.
    I dont think I ever saw silver Florins or Half Crowns earlier than these monarchs.
    But I loved the "thrupenny bit" and sixpence....only ever seen in those reigns.

4. FitzjamesHorse

FitzjamesHorse New Member

Afantiques,
    I never saw a Crown in circulation.
    The only two or three I ever saw ....at weddings at the "gold and silver" bit.
    that was early 1960s

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

In the 60s I used to have a pocketfull of Churchill crowns (1965) and hand them out as change as a curiosity, but I'll agree that apart from a few oddballs like me they never circulated.

In the early 50s Victorian silver occasionally turned up in pocket change. Victorian and Edwardian pennies were still common. Usually well worn of course.

coinman1234 likes this.
  6. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Actually, no circulation coin we currently have is worth it's face value unless you run across the occasional pre-1982 cent, or silver coin.
    value.JPG

7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

davidh;

Your referring to it's intrinsic value which is not it's face value. The face is the numeric amount stamped on the coin, which has nothing to do with the metal the coin is made from.

coinman1234 and FitzjamesHorse like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted