Can’t stop acquiring this junk!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WildWest, May 31, 2019.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Silver has declined every month this year I believe.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. WildWest

WildWest Obsessive Compulsive Disarry

I hope it continues...this bump feels like a trap

4. Collecting Nut

It goes up, it drops down. Overall it's at a low. It may drop more. It may not. I'm not being very helpful am I?

WildWest likes this.
  5. WildWest

$15 by 2020? The predictions aren’t looking so good right now.

6. WildWest

Care to re predict?

7. Collecting Nut

Now, now, it's not 2020 yet and we all know silver goes up and down and down and up. Let's give it more time. :)

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Gee, it seems that I'm closer than you are!

Besides, I didn't find the need to buy junk silver at any price. I accumulated all of mine at face value and I sold it all when it was selling near $45/oz.

Chris

9. trogdor

trogdor Junior Member

Melt for the dollars is a good deal. Melt for the walkers is still ok.

Melt for the rest is fair only because of the amount you are buying is small. PM dealers routinely trade 90% in quantity with each other under melt. When buying from the public...well, it's brutal.

When you buy these from your dealer, you're giving him a safe and quick return on his money. He's more than happy to sell at melt. If he has a kind soul, he's making 20-40% when he sells to you. Sometimes it's more than that. Be aware that when you go to sell, you'll be doing so back of melt, and depending on who you sell to possibly significantly back.

The trick around this is to buy silver that trades at a premium. Obviously dollars fall into that category, and if you're buying those at melt you're doing very well. Walking Lib halves are also seen as "better 90%" so if you're stacking silver thats a good route to go as long as you aren't the guy paying the premium.

Other 90% worth picking up at melt:
    Barber coins that grade Good+
    Standing Liberty quarters with a date

Probably worth picking up at melt:
    BU Franklins, Kennedy's, Washington quarters, late date Merc dimes

90% at melt that isn't actually a bargain:
    Circulated Franklins, Kennedy's, Washington quarters, merc dimes (unless you can cherry pick better dates), roosevelt dimes (even BU), almost anything heavily damaged, holed, etc.

And I'm guessing you already know this, but circulated 40% Kennedy's and 35% War nickels should always sell with a significant discount under melt.

Another surprisingly difficult thing to move is 90% state quarters or other silver Mint Set issues that have been broken up. I'm guilty of buying those at melt and then gifting them away though.

Anyway, happy stacking!!

10. WildWest

Of course you did...so did everyone else including myself. We all sold at $45. I mean who didn’t??? Lol!!

And not sure how you’re closer than me when I didn’t make a prediction...I said I hope that silver is at $13 by 2020. But you don’t always get what you want.

11. WildWest

He said it would be $15 by 2020. It blew by that already and is approaching $17. I’d say that’s a blown prediction. Regardless of wha t it is in 2020...it far exceeded the prediction in only a couple of months.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"Hopes" and "predictions" go hand-in-hand. Neither are worth anything. My prediction is still closer than your hope.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted