Campania Didrachm From Central States

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by LostDutchman, Apr 25, 2015.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I picked this guy up at the CSNS. I thought it was really neat with the man faced bull.
    IMG_7583.JPG IMG_7586.JPG

Gao, Aidan_(), Cucumbor and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Exquisite! Nice find.

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

man, that's a nice lookin' coin LD ... man faced bull is on my list BIG TIME.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That is cool. Would love to own something like that, can only dream though.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This coin comes a very short distance from being spectacular. The problem is the doublestriking that messed up the legends. All of these have the city name on the reverse (of the Neapolitans) but relatively in my recollection few have obverse legend. Look at this gem from acsearch where the small figure of Artemis is matched by her name under the head on obverse.
    http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1264587
    Yours has a bunch of grapes but I'm not certain on the word. If I were you I would figure that out before I sold the coin since it could add interest. I believe it might be Dioganoys (a magistrate?) like the one below:
    http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=400333

I posted two coins above. One sold for 2100 Euros while the other was $160. Condition is the name of the game, yes! Yours is in the middle somewhere. That expensive one is the nicest coin of the type I have seen and should sell for two or three times the price of the second best of this series famous for centering problems. At least yours is off center the right way so the head didn't lose a nose. Nice pick up!

Ancientnoob, zumbly and stevex6 like this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Holy Schmokes, LostDutchman => that is a fantastic example of a very cool coin-type (sweet score)

I have a humble example to add to your thread ... my baby is off flan, so I'm missing quite a bit of Nike crowning, above

ancientbullman.jpg ancientbullmanb.jpg

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

One of the best I've seen. Congrats.

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Just to bring the average quality of the thread down a notch or two, here's my diseased-looking AE.

upload_2015-4-26_20-58-37.png

CAMPANIA, Neapolis

Circa 270 - 250 BC
    AE Litra
    6.05g, 20.3m
    Sear 557; HN Italy 589.
    O: NEOΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ, laureate head of Apollo left, E (?) behind.
    R: Man-faced bull walking right, head facing, crowned by Nike flying right above; beneath bull, IΣ.

chrsmat71, JBGood, Bing and 2 others like this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ooooooowwww, sweet coin!!

=> man, I didn't know that there was an AE version?!!! (top o' the wish-list, my end-of-the-alphabet friend!!)

:woot:

zumbly likes this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Try and get one that doesn't make you feel all itchy just looking at it! Mine is like the Baron Harkonnen of coins.

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ahahahaaha, Z-Bro .... you crack me up (thanks for that)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

And here is my broken silver:
    Sicily Gela.jpg

stevex6, chrsmat71 and zumbly like this.
  14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great analogy, lol. The Dune trilogy literally consumed one of my teenage summers.

Draft saved Draft deleted