Camera

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sam Stone, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Sam Stone

Sam Stone Old, fat, bald, gray, ugly, lazy, and married

I have a good friend who's always trying to help and he just happens to have several cameras including the Coolpix that I know he never uses. Thanks for the idea.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sam Stone

That's some great work and a whole hooter of a lot easier than my overkill idea. I have some white coroplast I could use, but it might reflect wrong. I'll look at it when I'm feeling better. Thanks for your help.

Chuck_A likes this.
  4. Woodman60

Woodman60 Mercury Dimes Franklin Halves

Your welcome

Sam Stone likes this.
  5. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

Duct Tape! The handymans secret weapon, lol.

Sam Stone likes this.
  6. Woodman60

Woodman60 Mercury Dimes Franklin Halves

You betcha LOL

Sam Stone likes this.
  7. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

I've also seen some inexpensive light boxes that include led strip lights and different colored backgrounds starting at less than less than $15, you can spend a lot on more elaborate set ups, keeping it simple and easy is good for some people.

Sam Stone likes this.
  8. Sam Stone

Keeping it simple like my brane?

9. Claudius 11

Claudius 11 Active Member

What's the coin photos like
    Thanks

Sam Stone likes this.
  10. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

Sam, when I first started photographing my coins I struggled to find a decent setup to use with my cell phone or a cheap digital camera. I started out with the setup below and eventually moved up to a system that I purchased from http://macrocoins.com

This cost effective setup is nothing more then a empty windshield fluid bottle with the top cut off and a small rectangle cut into the bottom through which to snap the photo. It sits on a dark ceramic tile to provide contrast and I used two lamps to provide lighting. The windshield fluid bottle is slightly frosted in composition so you won't need any diffusion on the lamps. I took a few quick shots for demonstration purposes and admittedly I didn't spend a lot of time trying to capture the best photo. In the end though it's a cheap setup that you can play around with until you move up to a better solution.

Joe

20200302_131948_edited.jpg 20200302_132000_edited.jpg 20200302_131948.jpg 20200302_132652.jpg 20200302_133243.jpg 20200302_132457_edited_edited.jpg 20200302_132548_edited.jpg

Claudius 11 and Sam Stone like this.
  11. Sam Stone

That's brilliant. I tried 15 and a half variations of everything everyone suggested and what has worked best for me so far is I bought a cheap microscope (even after being warned it could show too much detail), which was cheap enough it can't possibly show too much detail. Then, depending on ambient light at any given moment, I may or may not use a sheet of different degrees of frost or wax paper to diffuse and hopefully distribute lighting. It's easy to get as much or as little detail as I want including adjusting the light to highlight (or not) parts or all. My wife had the paper for diffusing and the microscope was an Amazon USB lightning deal for about $20. Your stuph would be more portable so you can count on me putting one together.

Thanks for helping.
    IMG_2020-01-28_22-31-27_compress85.jpg CM200128-225452003.jpg CM200128-230158010_compress13.jpg CM200128-230112008_1.jpg

jafo50 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted