Camera advice

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bsr045, Oct 15, 2017.

1. bsr045

bsr045 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

What phone do you have? It takes a lot of time and practice, but phone photos can be surprisingly good.

4. bsr045

bsr045 Well-Known Member

5. SorenCoins

Here is a comparison photo I found on the internet.
    upload_2017-10-15_10-46-19.png
    ©APPLEAPPLE.TOP WORLD NEWS

I am currently using the iPhone 7+ and it is doing very well, especially the dual camera setup. The S7 I'm sure can get pretty good images. However if you still are unsatisfied, there are some good cameras.
    Here is one a friend of mine uses.
    He uses a Canon Rebel T3i with a 100mm Macro Lens
    Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 10.49.28 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 10.49.13 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 10.48.58 AM.png
    ©@theskywalkerscoins on Instagram.

Here are some images I've taken with my iPhone 7+
    Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 10.52.12 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 10.52.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 10.53.13 AM.png
    I could probably make better images if I try a bit harder and practice more.

To me my images suffice, but you might think that you want better. The Canon Rebel T3i is a little expensive, but I'm sure there are a lot more cameras that are less expensive.

chrsmat71 and bsr045 like this.
  6. bsr045

bsr045 Well-Known Member

I can get decent pictures, but I find it very hard to replicate the "in hand" appearance. I know this might be majority due to lighting but I figured an actual camera might help.

SorenCoins likes this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

8. SorenCoins

Yeah I've found that too. A lot of luster is lost in the images. I am thinking about getting a DSLR soon because I am beginning astrophotography. A good camera will surely help. And I like the Rebel T3i, you could get a used one for around your price range I believe.

9. SorenCoins

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks. I switched to led lights . One day light and one soft white. I usually just use the day light bulb.

SorenCoins likes this.
  11. bsr045

bsr045 Well-Known Member

Nice pics, do u guys have anything holding the camera steady or take pictures by hand?

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

mostly hand held for me :eek: but I do have a tripod mount I got (cheap) for my phone.

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I think the camera you liked in the OP is too much camera for what you need. But that is just my opinion.

SorenCoins likes this.
  14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

How do you get the light so close to the coin without it being so bright? I have to keep my light like 3 feet away.

SorenCoins likes this.
  15. I think the unrivaled photography award goes to @AncientJoe ; so if you're looking for advice on a process with professional lighting and probably a DSLR, I'd tap his mind. I too, like the plebeian I am, take my coin photos with a smart phone. Given the means I have to work with and that I would rather spend $400 on a coin as compared to a camera, as well; I think I get a decent product. I made a little overview video of my process/setup. Nothing fancy, but it works for me. I would say 90% of any of the issues you're running into are probably light related; especially with one of the top end smart phone cameras. Spend $30 on decent, adjustable lighting, and you should be ready for some trial and error.

Final Product:
    Seleukos I Stater.jpg
    PERSIA, Alexandrine Empire. Stamenes – Seleukos. Satraps of Babylon, circa 328-311 BC. AR Double Shekel. Baal seated left, holding scepter; monogram to left / Lion walking left; Γ above. Nicolet-Pierre 84.
    From the George Bernert Collection.

21.5mm
    16.84g

-Michael

ro1974, chrsmat71, Theodosius and 3 others like this.
  16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I use a Canon Power Shot, hand held.
    1910 S AU50 1-horz.jpg

17. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

I like that camera also. Below is my setup.

photo_setup.JPG

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It is one we both share, sir, although in some ways I personally feel it's not enough, at least depending on the OP's end goal.

It's a super-zoom bridge camera that may be fine for many applications, for weekend "Facebook photographers", for those who want convenience and reach on a budget, or those who simply want to play the part of looking like a "photographer", if solely for coins it would be a waste imo.

For the cost the OP could buy a used NEX (possibly up to an a6000) if he wishes to stay with Sony, adapt any one of a near countless options of macro lenses (or the like) to it, and have a much better tool for his stated purpose. In addition, he would also have a fine camera for general photography if something he's interested in.

19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My remark was referencing the sole use for coin photography. I use a camera for just that sole purpose, but I understand if it is to be used for other purposes.

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The suggested camera is not what I would suggest but I do imagine it would take acceptable photos for 99% of the uses people make of coin photos. I do not accept the concept that there is such a thing as too much camera for coin use but I most definitely believe that there is such a thing as too much camera for people who really do not want to be bothered with learning to use that camera and who are not willing to take steps to get the most out of whatever equipment they use. I posted several pages on my site on where I was at the time in my journey to better coin photos but relatively few people have wanted to play with the subject that much and try to get photos that are more than 'good enough'. If you define 'good enough' as what you get with your phone or current camera there is no reason to buy anything else or to put in the work to learn to use it.

I use and prefer digital single lens reflexes of which the mentioned Canon Rebel T3i is one. I have never touched that model. My current camera is a Canon 5D mark II which is not the current model and serious overkill for 99% of people who use cameras. More of them are used by wedding photographers and photojournalists that retired grandpa hobbyists like me. My photos are not the best they could be but that is my fault, not the camera's.
    If all you want is the smallest image below to sell the coin on eBay, better equipment is a waste. If you want the middle size (reduced here from the full size file), many cameras will do and learning to use the one you have is more likely to provide good images than the simple purchase of a better camera. If you want a 20x30" print (largest I have made), the full size file (cropped but not reduced here) and learning to use a good camera is probably a good idea. Why would anyone want a print that size of a coin like that? Good question.
    Click on image to enlarge:
    3sizesako26.jpg

21. SorenCoins

Draft saved Draft deleted