Cameo Designation

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Sean5150, May 25, 2017.

1. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

I've seen that picture before that demonstrates how they changed the dies... I agree they don't look nearly as nice and much of the detail is lost.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hic

hic Member

Hi - wasn't questioning "why" people expect DCAM - was asking, why people think DCAM is "better"? I personally feel the brilliant finishes reflect the details much better than the DCAM's and that's what I like about the coins "seeing" the details! Txs!

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

In general the majority think DCAM is better overall, but that said there are quite a few people (myself included) who aren't big fans of how they look at the moment which in large part was illustrated by Dougs picture. My opinion is also that their quality isn't good enough at the moment to be exaggerating the proofiness (yes I made that word up :D) the way they do now, the smallest imperfection stick out like a sore thumb but that is a bit of a different conversation

5. hic

hic Member

As a close friend of mine is fond of saying: "that's why there's horse racing" (smile)

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Doing it is simple, pretty much anybody can do it with most photo editing software programs. But it's not my picture(s). They were posted some years ago by another forum member. (sadly I can't remember who exactly) You see, this same discussion has been posted about quite a few times over the years.

No those are Proofs. The satin finish was only used on Mint Sets, not Proof Sets.

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I think deliberate attempts to make sure everything was cameo started later in the '70s, but the big change came in 2006, first on the ASEs when they introduced the "reverse proof" (stupid term, but I'll use it anyway) coins an used a laser to impart the cameo finish onto the dies. In 2007, the presidential dollars were also done this way, and within a few years all the proofs were downgraded to this appearance.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Rarity. It's reasonable to expect the majority of coins struck by a given die pair to have that "brilliant" lustrous finish you like - not that I don't like it too :) - but only the first few strikes of a brand new (or freshly polished) die are capable of creating the DMPL reflectivity. And even then there's no guarantee they will strike such coins.

9. hic

hic Member

if i understand you correctly, you are saying that generally speaking, people prefer the "rare" over the "beautiful"......? i guess it's akin to certain TONED coins i have seen - some have been graded PF 68 - but i personally thought the coin, because of the toning - was one of the UGLIST coins i have ever seen! i understand, that the toning may not necessarily affect (or is it effect? smile) the grade or condition of the coin, but as far as EYE appeal..... also - not sure it this is the right place to ask (if not - please direct me otherwise) but i don't understand all the fuss, with MAGNIFICATION....when i look at my collection, i am rarely hunched over a desk with a bright lamp and a magnifier....ditto when i share my collection with others - i don't say "hey, wanna see some nice coins - oh wait, lemme whip out my ole magnifying glass... i've always felt, if you can't see it with the naked eye, it doesn't exist (smile).....when observing ART - most people stand back a ways - they don't stand right on TOP of the painting and check out EVERY brush stroke....if it looks nice WITHOUT magnification...why "ruin" the moment? - just my thoughts!

10. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I think the Kennedys don't appear cameo in my opinion, based on the photographs. They are very attractive, reflective contrasty coins. The 1956 Franklins have nice contrast, but from the photos, it is hard to tell whether or not they have sufficient contrast for the designation. In general, TPGs are tough on Franklins for the designation. All of the coins you posted are attractive, and have eye appeal, if not a cameo designation.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It was '73 John and it's easy to check. Finding a Proof '73 or later that is not cameo is pretty dang tough. I won't say it's impossible as I think I might have seen one or two over the years, but that's it. But the '72 sets and earlier, cameo examples are just as tough to find.

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Put most simply, I have the opposite opinion of yours about DMPL coins. A DMPL Morgan is about as beautiful a coin as has ever been minted in America, to my mind, and there's nothing else in numismatics like one.

Rassi likes this.
  13. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I personally share your perspective, but there will doubtless be many who do not . . . perhaps even the majority. Unless you want to spend a lot of time and energy defending your position, be careful how strongly you assert your opinion. As regards saving that time and energy, it pays to respect other member's differences of opinion.

14. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I too think they should have characterized the design differently.

The word "proof", in our industry, has taken on an unintended meaning . . . a proof was originally meant to represent the final incarnation of the design of a coin design before going into production. That early collectors unexpectedly saved the proofs, thereby making them popular - even preferred by many, gave rise to their eventual marketing and sale by the Mint as special collectibles. For that reason, they are no longer viewed as samples dedicated to the internal approval process . . . a proof by today's numismatic definition is a classic misnomer.

Returning to the name "reverse proof", I think those coins would have been better described as possessing "inverted contrast" . . . but what do I know? I disliked those coins to begin with.

15. hic

hic Member

I'm married, so my "asserting" days are long gone! (Smile). I fully understand though and as you suggest, will endeavor to remember to offer the same quality for others that I would appreciate receiving! Better yet- giving MORE than I get, never hurts! Thanks to all who read this for your patience and support!

Draft saved Draft deleted