Cambodian "Wonders of the world" set on eBay

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Info Sponge, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Info Sponge

Info Sponge Junior Member

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/AMAZING-SET-2001-2009-7-Wonders-of-the-World-Series_W0QQitemZ170369027313QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27aac90cf1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Complete set of 7 bimetallic hologram coins portraying wonders of the world, 10000 riel face value.

What questions should I ask before I even think of buying it? So far I've come up with:

Q: Does it line up with my interests?
    A: Definitely. I like high-tech coins and the Mint Directors's Conference voted this "Most Technically Advanced Coin".

Q: Do I have expertise about this series?
    A: None whatever unless you count Googling.

Q: Will it be an expense or an asset?
    A: It's hard to find sale prices for this and I'll have to ask on Cointalk whether this sort of thing interests collectors.

Q: Is this a rare opportunity I have to jump on right away?
    A: I don't know, which probably translates to "No", unless someone on Cointalk tells me otherwise.

Q: Have I seen the coins firsthand?
    A: No.

Q: Is the seller reputable?
    A: 100% positive feedback but out of only 99 auctions.

Q: Is there a return option?
    A: Yes, 7 days.

Q: What's the condition?
    A: Presumably uncirculated, but not specified in the eBay listing.

Q: What's the competition?
    A: Panda America has 6 of the 7 coins, for more money than the set would cost. The only other source for the coins is a subset from a Ukrainian bank.

What else should I be asking myself? What should I be asking you folks?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Honest answer I would be very careful about buying coins for that amount on ebay unless it was from a tried and trusted dealer. If you like these then by all means collect them, there are those who will tell you not to LOL but ultimatly the choice is yours.
    Have you checked out some of the big reputable dealers as to the availability?
    Whatever you decide good luck :thumb:

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

un-recognized bullion coins

I take it that the major contributor to the value of this set is....

Each Coin Features:
    3.50 Grams of .999 pure fine Gold
    1 oz of .999 pure Silver

However, when you try to sell these coins, they will not sell for the spot price of gold or silver. The metals are mixed on the coin & will therefore be very difficult for a buyer to melt. I recommend that you do not buy them as a bullion investment.

5. Luis

Luis Senior Member

I'm 99% sure that the answer to your fourth question is a really big NO. You want them, then get them, but WAIT. Chances will come up.

6. Info Sponge

Info Sponge Junior Member

Thanks all.

Total mintage was 3000 of each coin, and 300 for the complete sets. Does that mean that waiting for the next one to come to market would be a very good opportunity to improve my skills at being patient?

Are there any references I can consult to learn more about these?

The dealer is within a day's drive. Is it worth an in-person visit? What should I look for and ask about if I do that?

If their only value is bullion, then the pricing is beyond absurd.

Is it significant that the set's been up on eBay for almost three weeks without selling?

I appreciate everyone's patience with elementary questions! Not every place on the net is like that.

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

7 oz Silver & 24.5g Gold Total according to the listing.

Draft saved Draft deleted