Calling the Ike guys... Are these worth grading?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jtlee321, Jul 13, 2016.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Hey guy's. I just picked up some raw Ike's from the local shop for $1.25 each. I figured I'd look for a 1972 Type 2 but nothing. I did set aside some of the better conditioned Ike's I found figuring a 25 cent gamble couldn't hurt. I grabbed 8 total and these are the best 4. I'd appreciate your opinions as these are not my normal collecting area.

1971-Eisenhower-Dollar-Obverse-#1.jpg 1971-Eisenhower-Dollar-Reverse-#1.jpg 1971-Eisenhower-Dollar-Obverse-#2.jpg 1971-Eisenhower-Dollar-Reverse-#2.jpg 1971-D-Eisenhower-Dollar-Obverse-#1.jpg 1971-D-Eisenhower-Dollar-Reverse-#1.jpg 1971-D-Eisenhower-Dollar-Obverse-#2.jpg 1971-D-Eisenhower-Dollar-Reverse-#2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't think it would be worth the cost to have them graded. Something interesting about the 71-Ds.They look to have came from the same dies.

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Did you check the foreheads for the talonhead clash? Tuff to tell from the pics. I'd say the 3rd one is the only possible candidate but this is an @19Lyds question

5. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

I think the 71 p's are nice, probably not worth grading though. The 71 D's are a little bald (meaning they didnt strike up well). Just my humble opinion and you never know where pcgs is on this series. Great buy for the money.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  6. coinguy-matthew

Also no talon heads or FEV reverse in this bunch as far as i can see.

7. jtlee321

Interesting.. I had no idea about the talon head variety. I googled it and saw what it is. The funny thing is, the two I shot are not, but I have three sitting on my desk that are. I'll shoot them and post for your opinions.

8. jtlee321

Here are the 3. The third one seems to have a double clash as the talon is doubled.

1971-D-Talon-Head-Obverse-#1.jpg 1971-D-Talon-Head-Obverse-#1-Detail.jpg 1971-D-Talon-Head-Obverse-#2.jpg 1971-D-Talon-Head-Obverse-#2-Detail.jpg 1971-D-Talon-Head-Obverse-#3.jpg 1971-D-Talon-Head-Obverse-#3-Detail.jpg

9. jtlee321

I'd call that last one a camel toe head. LOL

According to The Ike Group, that third Ike is the Double Volunteer and Double Talon Head. I can see the double lines coming from the FG.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  10. jtlee321

@ldhair I'd agree with you on that. Those die polish lines in the RTY are identical. I bet they were in the same roll together. I have a hunch that someone hoarded these and then brought them in all together thinking he had a fortune.

11. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Grade the 71-P's and not the 71-D's.

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I'm gonna need a commission when you sell :p

Nice double clash!

13. jtlee321

Hahaha... I'm glad you did say something, I would have spent them. :woot:

I should go back and see what they have. I know there is probably several more there. Do they command much premium?

14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

You can probably get close to $20 each for em. A little more for the double clasher. Check the reverse around the moon too and look for a strong wavy line clash from the eagles wing bend going up and to the right of the moon. Might get a few more bucks too if it's a bold line clash.

Not a lot of relative interest but enough to give them decent premiums above face. Check ebay for actual sales numbers but reduce it by 10% for my cut :p

Nice grabs for $1.25!

15. jtlee321

Thanks for the info. I visited The Ike Groups site last night and started taking notes of the varieties. I'll have to go back, the box I dug through yesterday had probably 100 or more Ike's in it. I know of another shop that has a box of Ike's as well. If I find a bunch more, I'll have to send a couple your way as a thank you.

16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I was only being glib of coarse. You know that right. Hope you score some sweet ike booty. You won't get rich but picking $20 coins for a buck or two, why not!

17. jtlee321

@Cascade Oh I know you were kidding around. But you've been pretty helpful to me in the past as well, and for a cost of $1.25 it would be an inexpensive gesture on my part.

Cascade likes this.
  18. coinguy-matthew

You should look for the FEV reverse on the 71-D they get a higher premium and since it flew under the radar for along time ,they are not all that uncommon to find.

19. jtlee321

I'm planning to. Most of the shops around here don't give Ike's a second look. I noticed a lot of higher conditioned Ike's in the lot but passed them by thinking only the '71 and '72 Type 2 would really be worth while. But after pouring over the info on The Ike Group, I am now armed with a lot more information than before. I know there were some really nice bi-centennials that I just skipped right over. I'll be looking for the Type 1's of those, not to mention the varieties to watch out for.

20. coinguy-matthew

A word of caution though Eisenhower dollars are only worth money if they are very high grade. NGC and PCGS are all over the map on these things, i have seen MS66 71-P coins that i wouldnt pay MS64 money for and vice versa. My point being If your planning on sending them for grading expect a wide variety of results.

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Nice. Also pay attention to the R's. Abraded peg legs are popular. A year or two were design peg legs like 76. There are 76 abraded OAK peg legs though. Take a 10x loupe and you'll see the foot polished away. The shorter the R foot the better.

coinguy-matthew likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted