Calling all Vampires: Newp 1887 VAM-19a today

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Mar 29, 2017.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Well, I can't believe I missed this the last time I went to this shop. It's the same shop that the 1885-O and 1900 Morgan Dollar from my GTG thread came from. Today I happened to notice an 1887 Morgan Dollar in an ANACS MS-64 "Rocky Mountain Hoard" holder with a displaced field and massive die crack above Liberty's Cap. That's what got my attention. Without knowing the correct VAM at the time, I bought it because it was interesting.

Well now I've had time to sit down and study it. The best I can tell it's a Stage 7 VAM-19 with the double clash on the reverse and all the die breaks and cracks. Of course I could still be wrong, so what say you? Could it be I found my first R-7 VAM?

The pics are bigger than normal so it hopefully will help with the VAMing.
    1887-Morgan-Dollar-VAM-19a-Obverse.jpg 1887-Morgan-Dollar-VAM-19a-Reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Appears to be stage 7! Im sort of the '87p guy around here. I can plainly see the crack extending over to the 1st U(pluribus)that is the coffin nail !!! R7 baby !! Extremely rare:greedy:

Nice 2bba783b6849e440d8aa4399550de97b.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    jtlee321 likes this.
  4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Sure looks like it's at 7. You have the extra star point and the cap crack looks displaced so 7 it is. Nice!

5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

So it's stage 7 19B. That is pretty sweet.

6. jtlee321

I was pretty amazed at how displaced the fields were above Liberty's cap.

Does anyone know of the Rocky Mountain Hoard from ANACS? I've done some googling and not a whole lot of info on it.

It's kinda weird on this one, but according to VAMworld the 19a is a later die state of the 19b. From what the site said, the 19b was reassigned from VAM-8? Still getting my feet wet on the whole VAM thing. It will take years to really get them nailed down. But it's going to be fun.

Evan8 likes this.
  7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

You did well. Check eBay. An anacs 64 sold for $600. Can't see if an offer was accepted though. Don't think the pedigree would add much of anything. Never heard of it.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That's pretty common in VAMming, when further research proves that two VAMs are a duplicate listing. Gross features like date and MM placement can be near-duplicated on differing dies, so (for example) someone assembling a die stage progression can prove that this VAM known only in EDS is also that VAM previously only known in LDS. As you might understand, there's a pretty active effort to whack as many 1921 scribbles varieties as possible that way. :)

Evan8 likes this.
  9. jtlee321

It totally makes sense. If you don't clean it up, it can really get out of hand.

10. jtlee321

I came across that last night when I was doing a search for it. It seems that only 10 have been graded by ANACS with an MS-64 in the lonely position at the top. Well it looks like the MS-64 is going to have a sister. :)

As far as the Pedigree, ANACS told me that is was from a very large bulk submission from one of their "Clients" a while back. It is graded and has the hologram, but no serial number. They did confirm that the holder is theirs and would reholder it with a serial number for free.

Here's the holder in question. I kinda like it over the current yellow label.

1887-Morgan-Dollar-VAM-19a-ANACS-MS-64-Slab-Front.jpg 1887-Morgan-Dollar-VAM-19a-ANACS-MS-64-Slab-Back.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. jtlee321

"Michael... Michael... Michael..." LOL I haven't seen that movie in years....

Yeah the die crack runs all the way to the U, as well as the second clash on the reverse which is apparently only on stage 7.

I was kind of in shock as usually I find the earlier die states on these kinds of VAM's.

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I would send it to @messydesk for his VAM sticker or send it back to anacs to have John label it correctly with the VAM.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. SuperDave

This would be a good time to drop $21.95/yr on an SSDC membership. You'll not only get to support the umbrella organization supporting VAM research, but also their publications and access to the VAM Registry, which will offer you information you don't currently have about the population of this VAM.

I'm not going into further detail because I'm unsure where I stand legally with regard to releasing Census data - I imagine it's OK but until I'm sure I'm stepping lightly - but be aware there are some out there with a vested financial interest in keeping population data skewed towards rarity....neither PCGS nor NGC attribute this one, so unless someone declares publicly that they have an example in a given grade, you'll never know what those services have slabbed.

14. jtlee321

Good information. I will look into it.

The population data that I was stating is from ANACS. And you are correct, PCGS and NGC only attribute list VAM's. I have no idea of what the true population is. The membership to SSDC sounds like a great organization I should join.

Dave Waterstraat and Cascade like this.
  15. SuperDave

It is a regret that I did not choose to join earlier than I did.

The person to talk to about joining, if you're paying electronically, is @messydesk.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

If you go to VAMWorld, there's a link on the left side that says "Join the SSDC." Be aware that while the payment is eletronic, it is processed by humans who may or may not be able to react right away.

17. jtlee321

Thanks for the info. I'm not going to be too worried about the processing.

18. jtlee321

I just got over to VAMworld and joined SSDC. Why haven't I received a welcome kit yet? LOL. Kidding asside, I'm really looking forward to being a part of this great organization. :)

19. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

old thread but I'm picking one of these up as well.

jtlee321 likes this.
  20. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

here is the one I ordered can not wait for it to get here and hopefully its stage 7 Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.21.38 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.20.30 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.25.17 AM.jpg

jtlee321 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted