Calling all Michigan members.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Steelfirebug, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Steelfirebug

Steelfirebug Junior Member

I"m from Indian River and there are only a couple of shops within easy driving distance.
    I'm asking those members from further south, do you know of shops that carry world coins. It seems that most shop carry mostly U.S. Coins. I'm a general worldwide collector, and if I'm going to drive a couple of hundred miles to visit a shop, I'd like to know that they might have something I'd be interested in getting.
    Thanks,
    Del

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Why don't you plan on attending the Michigan State Convention in Nov. Its in Warren Michigan at the College.

HERE

Also I think there is a good size shop in HONOR Mi. I know that is where the dealer is from. Don't know where its at or the number though. But I could find out if your interested in it.

4. Steelfirebug

I have been thinking about that show, I'd like to go to the one in Chicago next week, but there is just too much going on. I'll be going to port Huron in late August or early September, and I though maybe I could stop at a few shops on the way.
    Del

5. Jim M

There are some dealers over in that area.. go to that site.. the dealers who belong to MSNS are listed on there.

6. Steelfirebug

Jim,
    I have checked out all the Michigan dealers listed that have a website. None of them are world dealers, that's what prompted me to make this post. I was hoping for someone with personal experience from some of the coin shops. I was planning on calling the ones listed that don't have a website this week.
    Thanks for the recommendation though.
    Del

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Jim is the best. You can count on that fellow. Stalwart and true.....

8. Jim M

It will be tough to find a dealer who sells just world coins because the market is just not strong enough to warrant it. There is one dealer who is local to me in SE Michigan that sets up at the local show who has a ton of world coins. I generally buy a 10 pound bag and look for errors and varieties in them. I don't think he has a store however. Just a vest pocket weekend warrior. Are you looking for certain countries, Dates, etc.. I know I have a few guys who have asked me to put away their birth years if I come across any so I do that for them.

I think your best bet would be the MSNS convention.

9. Steelfirebug

Thanks Jim, I was hoping for a better answer, but I do appreciate the help.
    I like General worldwide from 1800 to 1900, I like the variety. I like 1872 coins because it is 100 years from when I was born. So if I see one of those I will pick that year over another. I also like to collect certain denominations, right now it is 20. I also try to keep an eye out for coins for my daughter, who collects again from 1900 on. Do you come across older coins in those bags, or just modern ones.
    Thanks,
    Del

10. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

11. rdwarrior

rdwarrior Junior Member

There is a shop in Holland Michigan I visited a few years back that had a good selection of foreign coins, I don't remember the name,but it was something Dutch sounding.

12. Jim M

Tulip City Coins
    170 Timberwood Ln,
    Holland, MI 49423
    (616) 392-8468
    ???

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Wow, there's a coin dealer in Holland? I'm from Michigan and have been to Holland, so I'm genuinely surprised.

14. rdwarrior

rdwarrior Junior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted