Calling all British Trade Dollar owners

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mark240590, Oct 11, 2016.

1. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

I'm starting some research which I will keep ongoing until I've gotten every year and mint for these issues.

I believe it's not hard too buy a legitimate one but a lot of people are discouraged from this series from the amount of fakes so to start it all off I'm asking if anyone would be kind enough too weigh and measure their coins and send me the specs along with the year and mintmark and condition. Pictures would be a benefit too our communities but not necessary I have all and can add pics.
    There is a bit of a difference between all 3 mints in terms of specs so just knowing one I don't believe equips our arsenal enough against the fraudsters.

Any help will be appreciated, I will be making another thread if it meets the approval in the future similar to what I have on Numista.

Thanks,

Mark.

NOS likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark240590

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

There is really no difference in specs between the mints as far as size and weight for genuine uncirculated examples. As far as slight die variations, Heritage archives have plenty of high pixel images of all the mints.

5. mark240590

There probably is though. This is why I'm asking for samples of info from people to know better. I work in a press shop I know how many things can go wrong and cause variations and that's today nevermind 100 years ago. Of my 5 there are slight difference not a great deal but enough to make me think there's a difference between the mints especially london and Bombay. I would need too have details of at least 5 UNC of each to really ensure this was the case though.

6. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Mark I was looking at an 1804 BoE Trade Dollar on eBay and the seller had given great details about his coin pointing out 5 or 6 different versions of the same coin. Obviously struck at different times or mints. I tried to find some details for you but could not trace the seller or the write up. I have 2 examples of the 1804 coin if you would like me to post pictures for comparison.

Sorry I cannot be much help.

Draft saved Draft deleted