California Gold Rush Token?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by flyers10, Jul 11, 2015.

1. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

I am 99 percent sure this is a modern replica but thought I would post to just make sure. No clue on these things. Weighs 1.8 grams. Non magnetic. Got in a collection lot with other coins that came out valued for what I paid for it so this one basically a freebee. Guessing brass or bronze.

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Charles1997

Charles1997 Well-Known Member

This is a replica, but a nice one at that

4. flyers10

Thanks Charles for the confirmation. It was in a holder but some fly by night grading service NPO Numismatic Professional Grading labeled 1860 California Gold Rush Token MS65.

5. Charles1997

Charles1997 Well-Known Member

I would wait for other opinions, but everything looks too neat for me to think it's authentic, others may disagree though

6. flyers10

Thank you. Will do.

7. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

There is one description in my reference that is a fairly close match to your token, although the weight seems way off. My reference does not have photos, just written description.

Weight is given as 4 grains for a gold 10 carat half, and as 8 grains for a base metal plated one, with weights for other sizes being proportional. 1.8 grams equals about 27.78 grains, so the weight is over 1.7 times what it should be for a dollar denomination.

The description that best describes what I see in your photos is in the token series, type no. 34 (Small California and Territorial Gold Coins by R.H. Burnie).

OBVERSE: Large, stern, aggressive Indian head with swept back feathers in headdress, with the ear not covered by headdress. Thirteen medium sized stars around head; date under head. Heavy denticulated border both sides.

REVERSE: California (circular), a star, Gold (horizontal) inside a neat wreath with 16 berries, single loop bow know with one tie, two long and two short ribbands. Letters and numerals all well engraved with complete serifs. Lettering large, star large. No denominations on this type. Subtype No. 6 for one dollar rounds, all dates.

I will leave it up to you if you feel this is a match or not, but this was the only listing that seemed to fit even remotely close.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

and a modern replica

9. flyers10

Thanks for researching it for me. I was pretty sure it was a modern replica and judging by the weight sure looks like it. Thanks again for the info!

10. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

This replica is even too new to be included in the Burnie book, which lists most of the charms and non gold tokens along with other states like Alaska that were made of real gold but for non-circulating use.

11. flyers10

Thanks for checking. Not sure if anyone collects these but would be willing to send it to someone who does for free.

12. David Setree Rare Coins

I've never said no to that magic word yet!

13. flyers10

Lol. If you would like it please pm me your shipping info. I will get it out in today's mail.

14. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Replica for sure but well done......

flyers10 likes this.
  15. David Setree Rare Coins

Received it the other day! Thank you much. It's not like any of the "token" series and is quite a bit larger and better made. More modern, I would say and made of brass. Thanks again!

16. flyers10

Glad you received it and thanks for the confirmation. Hope you like it.

17. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

So are we being overrun by replica 'gold' coins, because I got these and I thought they we too detailed to be real...

Attached Files:

18. David Setree Rare Coins

Yes. Those are much more typical of the replica Cali gold fractionals.

Draft saved Draft deleted