Cal’s Coin Trivia Quiz #1.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by calcol, Apr 11, 2021.

1. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Stellas were made in "only" three alloys. Folks are most familiar with gold, but there were copper and aluminum ones too. You're on the right track.

Cal

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

@calcol I think I've got it...the 1942 pattern cents, when the Mint was experimenting with different compositions before finally deciding on the zinc coated steel for 1943?

calcol and Beefer518 like this.
  4. calcol

Yep, that's one correct answer! Congratulations :joyful: Actually, there are a number of patterns that were struck in at least six alloys. My favorite is the Judd-145 through 148b series ... the "holely dollars" struck in gold, silver, copper, cupronickel, nickel and brass. The gold (see pic) is the most popular and expensive even though the others are rarer. And no, I don't own any of them.

Cal
    lf.jpg

Beefer518, manny9655 and CoinJockey73 like this.
  5. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Careful, I don't want to see anyone get banned for using saucy language, lol.

6. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I've never heard of these. You learn something new every day. I've read about the 1942 cents, that some were even struck in plastic. But I never knew about the "holey" dollars. Good stuff!

Beefer518 likes this.
  7. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

8. calcol

You guys did great answering 4 out of 5 within a day. There is still no. 5:

1-5. Name a gold coin struck by a U.S. mint for a foreign country that was not a territory or protectorate of the U.S.

Hint: There is more than one correct answer, and they're all in the new world.

Any unanswered questions will appear in the next quiz.

Cal

9. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Before the Cuban Revolution, Cuban coins were made at the US mint. The Mint struck 2 peso and 4 peso coins in gold.

calcol likes this.
  10. calcol

Correct! Congratulations. :joyful:

There were others: the 1926 gold 10 quetzales coin minted for Guatemala and the 1930 gold 10 Bolivars coin minted for Venezuela.

Cal

Omegaraptor likes this.
  11. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

I'll guess number 5 is the Balboa from Panama, Central America!

12. calcol

Some correct answers were in the two posts previous to yours. I don’t believe the U.S. Mint ever struck gold coins for Panama. It did strike copper and silver coins for Panama, and the dies were given to Panama. Supposedly some of the dies were subsequently stolen, and some gold coins struck from them.

Cal

Draft saved Draft deleted