Featured Caesar's Comet

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have admired examples of this coin ever since I began collecting ancient coins, but until now, never found one in good enough condition that I could afford. One of the dealers I have purchased from in the past had this coin on the market. But because of the small edge chip, it was just collecting dust. I was more than surprised when I made him a offer which he accepted. I suppose he needed to cut his losses. And since I was purchasing this coin at an exceptional price, I asked for opinions from several of the CT family before consummating the purchase.

Caesar's Comet was known to ancient writers as the Sidus Iulium ("Julian Star") or Caesaris astrum ("Star of Julius Caesar). The bright, daylight-visible comet appeared during the festival known as the Ludi Victoriae Caesaris – for which the 44 BC iteration was held in the month of July in the same year, some four months after the assassination of Julius Caesar, as well as Caesar's own birth month. According to Suetonius, as celebrations were getting underway, "a comet shone for seven successive days, rising about the eleventh hour, and was believed to be the soul of Caesar."

Temple of the Comet Star - Gaius Julius Caesar II- Roman Principate - Peter Crawford.jpg

The Comet became a symbol in the political propaganda that launched the career of Caesar's great-nephew (and adoptive son) Augustus. The Temple of Divus Iulius was built (42 BC) and dedicated (29 BC) by Augustus for purposes of fostering a "cult of the comet". At the back of the temple a huge image of Caesar was erected and, according to Ovid, a flaming comet was affixed to its forehead.

For illustration, not mine:

270R.jpg

One of the clearest and earliest connections of Caesar to a comet occurred during the Secular Games of 17 BC when moneyer M. Sanquinius struck coins with a reverse showing a comet over the head of a wreathed man whom numismatists speculate is either a youthful Caesar, the Genius of the Secular Games, the Julian family, or Aeneas’ son Iulus. These coins were meant to strengthened the link between Julius Caesar and Augustus since Augustus associated himself with the Julians. Another set of Spanish coins, and the one I just purchased, displays an eight-rayed comet with the words DIVVS IVLIVS.

Ovid describes the deification of Caesar in Metamorphoses (8 AD):

Then Jupiter, the Father, spoke..."Take up Caesar’s spirit from his murdered corpse, and change it into a star, so that the deified Julius may always look down from his high temple on our Capitol and forum." He had barely finished, when gentle Venus stood in the midst of the Senate, seen by no one, and took up the newly freed spirit of her Caesar from his body, and preventing it from vanishing into the air, carried it towards the glorious stars. As she carried it, she felt it glow and take fire, and loosed it from her breast: it climbed higher than the moon, and drawing behind it a fiery tail, shone as a star.

Now for the coin in question:
    Augustus 20.jpg
    Augustus_20 side view.png
    AUGUSTUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: CAESAR AVGVSTVS, head left wearing oak wreath
    REVERSE: DIVVS-IVLIVS to left and right of eight rayed comet
    with tail upwards
    Uncertain Spanish Mint, possibly Caesaraugusta 19-18 BC
    3.45g, 21mm
    RIC 137b RSC 97

Caesaraugusta or Caesar Augusta was the name of the Roman city of modern day Zaragoza . It was founded as an immune colony of Rome in the year 25 - 14 BC. Its foundation took place as part of the reorganization of the provinces of Hispania by Caesar Augustus after his victory in the Asturian-Cantabrian wars. A core of soldiers from the legions IV Macedonica, VI Victrix and X Gemina established the colony and integrated into the Iberian Salduie.

Scipio, BenSi, eparch and 46 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coin @Bing. I sure wish I had one in my collection. It would be nice to hold Julius' soul in my hand! ;)

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great write up and an excellent coin. Congrats on this superb addition

5. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Very informative write-up Bing - thank you for posting that. An excellent coin too. Here is my example denarius (with banker’s test mark):

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Augustus - RIC 38b (17 BC) - Spain (Colonial)

kaparthy, chrsmat71, rg3 and 15 others like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wow!!! I've always wanted one of those!

7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Thanks for the excellent write up. I really enjoyed learning more about this very special type. And big CONGRATS On the fantastic new coin!
    I've no magical star of Julius, though I do have a divus Julius Caesar via Augustus:
    6730663A-1B5B-4973-B6F8-2A051431E37E.png

Augustus with Divus Julius Caesar
    (27 BC-14 AD) MACEDON. Thessalonica. Obv: ΘEOΣ.
    Wreathed head of Julius Caesar right; uncertain c/m on neck.
    Rev: ΘEΣΣAΛONIKEΩN.
    Bare head of Augustus right; Δ below. RPC I 1554.
    Fine. 12.3 g.21 mm.
    The D has been interpreted as either a denomination mark (four assaria) or, more likely, a date - year four of the Actian era (28/7 BC). The ligate NK monogram has been generally accepted as a reference to Nero (Nerwn Kaisar). This is problematic considering that Thessalonica had abundant coinages issued under Claudius and Nero, such that countermarking these quite older coins would be unlikely. Touratsoglou(p. 105) follows Kraay's suggestion that the NK is an abbreviation for Nike (NiKh), and was applied to the coins during celebrations of the city's 50th anniversary of its grant of liberty by the Romans. All but two of the known specimens of this countermark occur on the coins of this first issue of Thessalonica, and the wear on the countermarks is nearly identical to that of the coins, suggesting that the countermarks could not have been applied very long after the coins entered circulation.

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Big ol' congrats, Bing! Fantastic coin, very historic :).

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WOW! @Bing , fantastic find! Beautiful coin, well struck, centered, perfect amount of wear... just great. WHAT CHIP???
    Ah don't see no chip!

I was not going to post my coin, but this really hits home on this issue. I captured this one because of it was minted during the last 2 weeks prior to Caesar's assassination. The symbol below the scepter is a STAR. Cool premonition prior to his death! Couple that up with the Seer's warning "Beware the EIde of Mar"!

This Denarius was minted 4 months before the Star appeared in July, 44 BCE.
    upload_2019-10-1_12-33-10.png
    Roman Imperatorial Era
    Julius Caesar Lifetime
    P Sepullius Macer AR Den
    1st 2 weeks-Mar 44 BCE 4.03g.
    CAESAR – DICT PERPETVO Veiled -
    Venus Victory sceptre star
    Syd 1074a Sear Imperators 107e Cr 480-14
    Rare

Andrew Alföldi arranges Crawford 480 series coins in (44 BC) month order as follows:

RRC 480/1, Buca - January
    RRC 480/2, DICT QVART - early February
    RRC 480/3/4/5, CAESAR IMP - late February
    RRC 480/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14, DICT PERPETVO - early to mid March14
    RRC 480/17/18, CAESAR IMPER - late March
    RRC 480/19/20, PARENS PATRIAE - April
    RRC 480/15/16, MARIDIANVS - April
    RRC 480/21/22, CLEMENTIAE CAESARIS and Mark Antony - April

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    eparch, chrsmat71, Multatuli and 16 others like this.
  10. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Great post - and superb coin - Brian!

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Neat coin JW, I like the portrait on it. Congrats.

12. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Wonderful coin .. great portrait and clear legend. Amazing.

Here is my recently acquired (and worn) Augustus with Divus Julius Caesar.

CAESAR_MERGE-removebg-preview.png

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you, James. I was very fortunate finding this one, being minted within the last 2 weeks of his life.

14. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

Very interestive write up, Bing..

15. rg3

rg3 Well-Known Member

Nice pickup, Bing! Here are my 37B, 338, and 340 (the latter, part of a saec games mini collection I've been accumulating):
    24385_2.jpg 32973_2.jpg 015708_l.jpg

eparch, chrsmat71, Multatuli and 14 others like this.
  16. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

rg3 likes this.
  18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got to bring that one home @Bing !

19. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Sweet comets, Bing and all!

Mine's been in a few rounds with the Klingons :blackeye::

Attachment-1 (1).jpeg Attachment-2 (1).jpeg

Erin

chrsmat71, rg3, Multatuli and 10 others like this.
  20. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

One of my favourite types too. Awesome coin @Bing!

21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice score, Bing! A type that has been on my want list for a long time. Yours has a great comet and the full DIVVS IVLIVS... congrats! :)

Jwt708 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted