Caesar Coin On Pawn Stars

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, May 12, 2016.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lastnights episode of Pawn Stars featured a decent portrait coin of Caesar. And the person selling it, I believe was our "favorite" ebay dealer High Rating/Low you know what.

The episode is titled "Rick the Emperor", watch online or catch the reairing.

If it was the ebay dealer as I think it was, he was a major ass on the episode!

Vagi was on too.

http://www.history.com/shows/pawn-stars

[​IMG]

Mikey Zee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yup, figured it was that *$$ bucket.

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

6. noname

noname Well-Known Member

So was the coin on the show fake? Because on the bottom right, it says: now $10

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nope, it's real and that pic feature everything showed on the show. $10 was for something else.

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

IIRC, Rick's last and best offer was $1000.

9. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

Funny. I watched that episode a few hrs ago. The routine is so old at this point. Much hype about the coin. A quick look and you know it was not $200k.....which is how Vagi starts his spiel..."examples can go as high as $200k"

I didn't know who the seller was but he obviously went in knowing he would not get the $4,400. The coin had a dealer tag with full info. He must have known what it was worth. The fellow wanted to get on TV.

btw I went there last year when I was in town to check the place out. It's a little place with a lot of junk. It is basically a prop for the show now.

Paul M. and Alegandron like this.
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

He's a good fit for the show haha :)

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  11. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Hahaha!! that was obviously staged, and that guy made a total fool of himself. I knew that was him, when I first saw him. He has better coins listed, than that worn Caesar BS. Why did he choose that one lol?

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Because more people know who Julius Caesar was than any other ruler?

swish513, HAB Peace 28 2.0 and Orfew like this.
  13. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Yeah, you are probably right. I still think he could of probably came up with something better. Just my opinion.:happy:

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
    Paul M. likes this.
  14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

So here's a guy that charges at least 5x what a coin is worth, taking his denarius into a shop that offers at most 1/5th of what anything's worth. I can't watch the video at the moment. What happens? Does everyone's veins burst and their heads explode? Because that would be cool.

15. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

The seller is not in the above image. I have met him before.

16. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

That guy has been selling overpriced junk for years. Take a $10 coin, list it at $1,000 then discount to $400. Seems to work for him, look at how many feedbacks he has. If he hasn't made his first million yet I'd eat my hat. Having said that, Pawn Stars is a scripted show. There is no reality in it at all. If you've watched the show for some time you will notice actors and crew members(?) playing different parts on different seasons. I like seeing some of the 'restorations' they have done. Sometimes the finished product is so obviously not the same item they started with, it boggles the mind to think they thought nobody would notice. Anyway, when I watched this show I immediately said to myself, that is a $1,500 denarius. Spot on. Vagi may inflate the value of many of the coins on that show but this time I agreed with him.

rrdenarius and Paul M. like this.
  17. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

No, but mine did.

Pishpash likes this.
  18. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Rick: "Since the Roman Empire doesn't exist anymore, it's not illegal to fake this coins".

Fact: There was no Roman Empire in 44 BC

Paul M. likes this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That does not bother me in the least. The problem I see is when any dealer who has thousands of coins accidentally gets one I want and I have to decide whether I want it bad enough to deal with them. In one case where a dealer had three denarii of Septimius all at the same time and for about the same ~$200 price. One was worth $300 to me and the other two were $30 at best. It hurts me to partronize someone like that but when they ask $200 for what I would pay $300, sometimes we suffer.

Paul M. likes this.
  20. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Same here. I've purchased a few coins from him over the years. After some haggling I got them for decent prices, but felt guilty as hell.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I've bought a couple from him as well-- difficult to find coins and he accepted a reasonable price. None were in great condition but were about as good as I could find.

Draft saved Draft deleted