Cache of coin confiscated by the Israeli Antiquities Authority

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

The focus seems to be much more on the incantation bowls than on coins. Which makes perfect sense, since they're obviously far more important historically, and require far more scholarly analysis, than any coin that may have been found. I do like the fact that the language of these incantations parallels the language of divorce agreements.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Good pic of the coins.

SKrsMYAXFTy0h_6lo00fJKrQdBu-hsHP3uYAJ3_2Igc.jpg

5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

For sure it's mostly about the incantation bowls. Very early ones are apparently known to be the earliest translations/uses of some Judaic text.

Those who know nothing of these wonder their use. They were placed upside down to apparently entrap demons inside, where the Hebrew inscription is. Mostly they are Aramaic but quotations are in Hebrew, generally speaking.

I spent a few minutes thinking about this but have come to the conclusion I do not understand. Hopefully I never need to.

6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Coin collecting has so many opportunities for us to enhance our knowledge of history. Great read.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  7. Ryan McVay

Ryan McVay Well-Known Member

Maybe it has something to do with "...a female demon with long, wild hair.." ? :angelic:

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  8. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

(Quiet chuckling ensues.)

Draft saved Draft deleted