CAC Turnaround Times

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by wxcoin, Mar 31, 2022.

1. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Back in February I sent a batch of coins to sell in a future GC auction. Two of the coins were sent to CAC and are still in limbo. I understand that NGC and PCGS turnaround times are lengthy these days and it appears the same is true with CAC. I was wondering what the recent turnaround times have been for any of you submitting coins to CAC? A while back their web site indicated that they temporarily weren't accepting any new orders so I assumed they have been very busy.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I don't know. But you could have simply sold them to me and saved yourself the trouble!

eddiespin and wxcoin like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They stopped the regular but you can still do the higher tiers. They've been slower than the 5 day time they basically always had. GC has been a lot slower too though this year from the added volume. Something seemed to have happened in February where things from grading companies to auction houses are all being really slow with them

wxcoin likes this.
  5. wxcoin

It makes me wonder if CAC is getting overwhelmed by the auction houses and have maybe prioritized the smaller submitter. According to their web site they have two graders and one finalizer (JA). If that's the case, due to the popularity of CAC, it seems to me to be unsustainable at the current rate.

6. baseball21

The smaller submitter is kinda the problem getting a bunch of 100 dollar coins and lower. There are instances that makes sense for the submitter but it ends up being a lot. I doubt CAC is the major road block. They did have an issue with their post office and had to change the address but I've got stuff sitting from early Feb that hasnt been listed yet. It is what it is. All you can really do if you really wanted to would be to call and check on where it actually is.

Insider and wxcoin like this.
  7. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Just go to the CAC Board. JA has addressed the timing issues in depth. Limbo is not quite the best description of the "delay".
    Unlike NGC and/or PCGS JA has been on top of it, to head off concerns, and keep submitters informed.
    You don't have to sign up to read what is going on (but you might give serious consideration to joining). Just go to CACCOIN.COM.

Tater, wxcoin and Insider like this.
  8. wxcoin

I just checked the CAC web site again and a message got posted indicating that back in February they weren't accepting any new regular tier submissions through the month of March. They have now extended this through at least April 7th.

9. baseball21

Yea they sent out a couple emails. Their area lost power for 2-3 days not that long ago, their post office sounds like its really poorly run and hates them with having to switch from the PO box to psychical address etc.

It is possible too that they're just trying to not get the cheap coins anymore. They'd done a couple price increases to discourage it and it did really seem to stop it. I'm sure they're backed up like everyone is, but they might be testing it out a bit for dropping the regular tier

wxcoin likes this.
  10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Maybe it's a pandemic thing. Everything else is, these days.

11. charley

Go back and read the notices threads at the top of the page. There are 3 threads. There is a lot more info than what you state. The power outage was a hiccup....that was on top of a U.S. Mail office glitch that has also been solved. CAC was in fact accepting submittals, depending on tier, and JA stated time tables and the reason for his decision to slow grading down, and CAC is catching up very quickly, ad he states the status of submittals date wise.

wxcoin likes this.
  12. wxcoin

Thanks. I wasn't criticizing them at all. Given their limited staff, higher demand, along with factors not under their control, it's no wonder turn around times are higher.

13. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

My last one just got done and in the mail yesterday. It was received the 7th. I got it postmarked before regular tier was suspended. Mine was postmarked February 26. So they should be getting close to caught up I'd hope. Hopefully people aren't still sending in all crazy and paying the higher tier price...

wxcoin likes this.
  14. charley

I didn't think you were. I figured you might have read only the one thread. It will be fine, and your wait will not equal NGC/PCGS never-neverland.

wxcoin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted