CAC Tales

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Nov 13, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Then you just collect/buy what you can afford. The 64's shouldn't be 65's and the 65's shouldn't be 66's.

Wow, the grading has gotten so loose that older 64's could easily get a 65 today and maybe even be considered for a 66 ?

Wow.... :wideyed:

Not sure why, the coins just didn't exist in the higher grade.

???

Just a belief that the older slabs contained more conservatively-graded coins, right ?[/quote]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I’m a dealer who specializes in Jefferson Nickels, which CAC doesn’t certify save the varieties. I don’t even have submission privileges to CAC, so claiming that I have a financial motivation for liking CAC is 100% wrong.

baseball21 and WLH22 like this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

So CAC does sticker JN's or not ?

If they do is it known that it's referring only to a variety ?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  5. robec

robec Junior Member

CAC only stickers 1938-1942 Proof JN’s, 1939 Doubled Monticello, 1943/2-P and 1949-D/S.

6. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

Blame collectors for this. Collectors want to collect gem coins, not near or almost gem coins. It doesn't matter if it is the same coin, they want a "gem". It's a point of pride. No one wants to say, my car is almost cool, my girlfriend is close to hot, and my coin is near gem. No one wants lessening qualifiers before those terms.

The TPG had to respond to this by allowing way more coins in to the 65 grade.

The 65s of today are garbage compared to 30+ years ago. The marketplace needed gems and if the TPG weren't going to give gems to the dealers, the dealers would look elsewhere. The TPG weren't nearly as entrenched as they are now. The TPG responded by opening the floodgates to gems.

There is now a ton of generic stuff in 67 slabs that would have had a hard time grading 65 30+ years ago.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

Yes, the vets here (esp. GDJMSP) have drilled that into me. :D

Demarcation appears to be 2003/04 or so. So if you go back 20-25 years you still have (pretty) strict grading standards. Maybe not late-1980's standards, but closer to that than today's.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Money for a number on a slab. Conditional rarities for modern coins are for those that think the Registries on NGC and PCGS are the greatest thing since uncut sheets of FRNs. I don't see how a Lincoln wheatback from the '40s is worth more than a 1916 SLQ.

johnmilton and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Just because someone likes the best of the best doesn't mean they're a registry player

GoldFinger1969 and WLH22 like this.
  10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

If they pay over $270K for a 1938-S Mercury Dime they are.

11. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Here are the results of that 14 coin submission. For those that were not following my guess the CAC thread.

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.28.57 PM.png

GoldFinger1969 and baseball21 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted