CAC Success Rate

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by robec, Mar 10, 2019.

1. robec

robec Junior Member

Are there any estimates or figures on the success rate of coins sent to CAC?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't know, Bob. Do you think that the folks at CAC would want to publish that sort of information?

Chris

4. robec

robec Junior Member

Probably not. I know they don't publish a record of cert numbers that don't pass. It has been said that they don't keep a database of failed coins, but I find that hard to believe.

I was just curious. I've seen many threads where people post their results and the percentage seems pretty high. I'm sure there are many more that don't post their results because of results not being as successful.

Others have estimated 20%-50%. Some even brag at 90% or higher.

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

If you do the shotgun approach and send in everything, it's probably 40%. If you are selective, it is much higher.
    Everything I have sent has beaned, with 2 gold. I have coins I will not send because I don't think they will. I should because they only change if it beans.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Before this gets derailed by the usual suspects overall it's less than half. They advertised they've looked at over 1.1 million coins and their population reports show something like 500k or less stickered and 500k is very likely being generous.

If you have a database of what passed you have one of what failed too. People that actually know have said multiple times there is a database of everything they see, they just won't make it public nor should they.

This is all dependent on what you're actually submitting and how good your eye is and how much you actually understand their standard. Some areas are harder to get stickers than others.

You very easily could be 70, 80, or 90% if you're an occasional submitter with a good eye or are just submitting a lot of things like low to mid MS Mercs and have at least a decent eye. There are people that do have the skill to submit a lot across multiple series and get good success rates.

Now if you're a bargain buyer you will almost certainly be much closer to 20% (if not at that) than 90%, or if someone doesn't have the skill they think they do etc.

There's not many people I would believe if they're claiming 80/90 percent across most if not all series. Most people that have above average/great rates have it in a few series and then some series that are just clunkers for them. Individual rates can certainly have wild variations though

imrich and robec like this.
  7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Keyser Soze - ya just gotta love that guy don't ya :D

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted