CAC Sticker Replacement Policy?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by calcol, May 29, 2016.

1. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Does anyone know CAC's sticker replacement policy for: (a.) a slab that has had its sticker removed or damaged or (b.) a coin that has been removed from its original slab by NGC or PCGS and placed in a new slab with the same grade and certification number? In the latter case, it would be a routine re-holdering or a coin submitted in a slab for regrading that did not change grade.

I looked on CAC's website and Google in vain for the answer.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Try calling them on Tuesday.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What Paul said........:) Welcome to the fracas Cal.........:)

micbraun and Paul M. like this.
  5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

green18 likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

He da man........:)

7. rayman311

rayman311 Active Member

CAC will replace sticker in same TPG holder at reduced charge as long as cert# is same, and you send photo of previous slab. I believe it is around $5. If the cert# changes CAC will evaluate it again and charge full fee. I spoke to them last week because I need to have one reholdered.

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It's $3 if the cert number is the same. $12.50 if you changed the cert number by adding varietys, sending in for regrade, etc...

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

New sticker: $3
    New sticker on a new slab: $12.50
    Watching a bidding war over a CAC coin (your coin): PRICELESS

10. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Do you need to be a dealer or member to have a sticker replaced?

11. calcol

Thanks for the replies and warm welcome. The reason I asked the question is I have a 1883-CC Morgan that was bought as NGC MS66DPL. I sent it to PCGS, where it crossed to become MS66DMPL, and then to CAC, where it got its green sticker. I'm thinking of sending it to PCGS for a regrade, where it will lose the CAC sticker. Even a gain of just a + will more than double the value. And apparently, it won't cost much to get back the CAC sticker in the event that the grade remains the same. If the grade changes, I'll have to decide whether to resubmit to CAC for a new evaluation.

Cal

C-B-D likes this.
  12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yes

13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

This mentality is a great peeve of mine and is slowly destroying our hobby.

Jwt708 and JustMyType like this.
  14. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

This has been going on even before slabs - buy one grade, sell at higher. Not sure I see how you get this is destroying the hobby.

Insider and baseball21 like this.
  15. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I would save the expense and hassles of shipping which gets ridiculous with just one coin and find out how dealers remove the green bean from the old slab and put one on the new one. Same cert. #, same coin same everything, just find the cheapest way to affix a bean that had been on the same slab before. Or send in with others or through a helpful friend or dealer.

16. calcol

Destroying the hobby? I doubt it. But one must deal with market realities, like them or not. It would be foolish not to take advantage of a market situation that would gain me several thousand dollars. I actually think half-grades are cutting it too fine on a subjective art. Eleven grades slots is more than enough for uncirculated coins; 21 is ridiculous. I'd like half-grades go away, but that's not happening anytime soon.

Cal

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I counter with it encouraging the hobby. It's another facet, and a very exciting one at that, that can attract newer members to stay with the hobby or retain members that get bored with the hobby and find a thrill playing the crack out game. If coin collecting was the boring hobby of days gone by I probably wouldn't even be here

18. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

It's changing the hobby. Whether one perceives that change as destruction depends on one's perspective, and arguments can be made both ways.

harrync likes this.
  19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I don't agree/agree. If you consider what you are doing with coins a fun hobby than I agree...slabs and the slab mentality sucks! If it is a profession that is putting food on the table, then I disagree. Slabs have allowed many ignorant people to join our ranks both as dealers and collectors. Play the game or don't - it's your choice; but letting it bother you, hurts you not those who choose to play.

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'd have to disagree with this. The upper levels of grading with the four and 5 figure plus coins where the crack-out game mentality is the most prevalent really have no impact on the overwhelming majority of collectors as very few people can afford those coins in the first place. On the other hand though slabs have provided a protection to allow people to collect outside of their comfort zones. I don't think it is a coincidence that after the appearance of the TPGs set collecting has seem to decline while type/buy whatever I want collecting seems to have taken over. Granted the internet played a role in that too, but the TPGs certainly played some role in making people more comfortable buying a wide range of things.

21. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I've been away all day. Let me try to explain myself.

I say that the "crack and resubmit" mentality is ruining our hobby because it is taking away the fundamentals of numismatics. With such a strong focus on "Top-Pop" coins, coin-collecting is becoming more of an investment game than a hobby. Also, a focus on slabs is taking away grading skills because people buy the slab, not the coin. When these two aspects combine, you don't have a hobby that appreciates the coins for their history and what they are. You have people who only care about the hunk of plastic with the number printed on it, and the coin is just a side-effect.

So, you are condoning dishonesty?

I agree with your first point. But the thrill of the "crack-out game" is getting that one grade increment higher which will make your coin "worth" more because some grade-illiterate (for lack of a better word) collector would pay up for a higher number. That does not sound like numismatics to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted