CAC Rumors...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Burton Strauss III, Aug 21, 2022.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

They made special effort to get me to post there. I sort of had a special educational section. I give them essays for a while, but didn’t get many responses.

For most of the guys on there it’s, “CAC is wonderful. How much more money can I get for my coin if it has a CAC sticker?” and “How much can I get for the CAC approved coin I buy today in the future?”

Since I can’t answer any of those questions, I stopped posting.

wxcoin, imrich, MIGuy and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Are you referring to the Article education section? I have read every posted article, and many other members of CAC have read various articles that are within their collecting sphere in the Article education section. I recommend it to everyone. It is very worthwhile. It is not a question/comment section. There are various other posts in the educational forum - the discussion forum - and it is rare there is not a reply to such posts.

I do not know of any "special educational section". My opinion is that your second paragraph is somewhat exaggerated, but I can understand the perception.

4. johnmilton

I have been able to give programs at the FUN show on two occasions. One program was on the coins of the first U.S. Mint in 1795, including the gold. I did a second one on the life of Abraham Lincoln. Both topics attracted maybe 25 people.

Every year there is presentation about which silver dollars to buy that will yield a profit. Usually the recommendations include one Bust Dollar and a list of Morgan Dollars. The crowd is out the door.

Im I jealous? You bet, but it’s also disappointing because it seems that making money is the main thing that interests people about this hobby.

Hommer, ZoidMeister, wxcoin and 5 others like this.
  5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Conversely, it's those people that make me sometimes hate this hobby. But then I just stop logging into CoinTalk and look through my collection instead.

wxcoin, svessien, bsowa1029 and 2 others like this.
  6. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply, but I was specifically addressing your comments concerning your posts on the CAC forum that you stated you had posted, and your special educational forum. I can not locate and such special forum.

I assume your are referring to invitations to present at a regional/national Show, which may have or may not have been at the invitation of CAC? That is not the same as your original post here.

I am not sure what you mean by your last paragraph, or what it has to do with CAC.

But, your sentiment is the same as many in the hobby. I don't know what you would be jealous of, or why you would imply some less than hobby supporting purpose by CAC, and single CAC out in this thread, but we all have opinions and are entitled to same.

7. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I don't recall the Mint presentation but I did attend the Lincoln presentation, enjoyed it very much, and mentioned that to you afterwards. There are people who are interested in numismatics, history and exunumia for more than just the pecuniary aspects but you can't really blame folks for that. After all, a coin show's commercial transactions are its primary reason for existence.

Yes, I see those crowded presentations as well but don't attend since I don't collect Morgan or Peace dollars and could not care less about the financial aspects of that piece of the hobby/trade. But just look at the bourse; every other table is crowded with dozens and dozens of Morgan dollars. There must be a very active trade in this material hence the high interest.

So, my observation is that the response to your educational presentations, at shows or on-line forums, is about what you should expect given the lop-sided ratio of numismatic interest versus financial interest that prevails. Don't be discouraged.

green18 likes this.
  8. johnmilton

The point is, when I can’t draw a crowd, I don’t get a chance speak. There was more than a decade between the 1795 and Lincoln pieces. The only reason why I was able to speak about Lincoln was that the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln Memorial was the theme for the show.

RonSanderson and MIGuy like this.
  9. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

There’s a cac forum?? That has got to be very entertaining!

10. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

That part made me chuckle, especially the merc part.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Especially with toners. Plus you just end up with follow the lead bias. Once the first couple people post everyone just follows their lead so that if its wrong they can say well everyone was wrong

COOPER12 likes this.
  12. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I get that feeling from time to time too, but it is kinda understandable: You pay as much money as you can afford for a coin (money) that has no use case except being collectible, and it will stay with you until you die, sell or give away. Money is in the equation all the time, so it’s hard not to think about it. The hobby gets better if you’re able to though.
    I think I would be in the 25 people crowd for the lecture on the first American money. I’m sure you made that interesting.

MIGuy likes this.
  13. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Once in a while I'll try to guess a grade in this forum. I try not to let any other's opinion affect mine but I'm sure my brain gets some sort of bias from others opinions. I defintely try to look at a coin objectively.

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Even just seeing other replies puts at least some subconscious bias even with people like yourself who are trying to do it as objective as they can. Realistically even who posts it can lead to personal bias coming into play with responses.

I'm just really not a fan of the GTG threads. I get that they can be fun and if theyre just used for that by all means have fun with it. Its when people start using them as a condemnation of grading and more nefarious means like trashing a coin thats for sale to try and keep the price down (which has happened even from a very well known high end collector) that they end up being harmful

AdamL and wxcoin like this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

One of the reasons why I like to get in early on those threads. If too many opinions are posted, I forget about it and move on.......

AdamL and wxcoin like this.
  16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Well, what do you expect when you prey on the hungry, tell them that the grade on their slab is worthless?
    Is that the same impression you give to the grader?
    Even better the so-called doctors of Market grading?

Evan8 likes this.
  17. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I never participated in the GTG threads, until I started doing so just to have a good time. I will say though, I ALWAYS GTG after only reading the OP'ers first post introducing the coin. I do not read one single additional post before making my guess. It takes all the fun out of the game. AND, I do agree about other posters guesses influencing those who've read them.

Draft saved Draft deleted