CAC Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

It doesn’t matter at this point. I had a health issue this morning. I felt discretion to be my wiser choice. I stayed away from the two high end negotiations I had planned for today.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

No .01 percent would not be thousands of off coins. Their mistakes are incredibly rare. JA is a world renowned expert. Combining his expertise with that of PCGS/NGC equals an insanely high rate of accuracy which very likely is 99% or higher

There is no presumption of a mistake or skepticism of the quality like some of you are trying to say.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Pay the price you think it is worth regardless of the CAC sticker. Note that there are many coins that have been blessed by JA or the legend.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not necessarily........the example has to pass my 'eye appeal' test......

wxcoin, Paul M., furham and 3 others like this.
  6. baseball21

As I said, those of you trying to act like it means nothing and that a confirmation is needed because mistakes should be assumed are absolutely incorrect.

The CAC sticker is without question an indicator of quality coins that comes with an error rate so low it isn't even worth considering off the bat.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Agree...........but it's got to pass my 'taste test' to warrant purchase. :)

wxcoin, Paul M., furham and 3 others like this.
  8. baseball21

Of course, something always has to speak to you to be worth buying it. We all have series that we couldn't care less about and series that we really get excited about, nothing wrong with that at all

wxcoin, Kasia, green18 and 1 other person like this.
  9. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

An accuracy rate of 99% for stickered coins is 1 error in every 100 coins stickered. If there are a 1,000,000 stickered coins (which is likely a gross under estimate), that is 10,000 coins stickered in error. The concordance rate among professional graders is likely in the 70-80% range. You should get the picture.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Sorry....

11. baseball21

99.9 percent which you had said is way less than 1 in 100.

But the fact that you think 1 million CAC coins is a gross underestimate?

Wow just wow. It helps to actually know what one is talking about

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  12. baseball21

Still sad when people just say things that mislead readers because they don’t know what they’re talking about

13. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

How many green beans do you think they've handed out? I was too lazy to look through their entire pop report.

Here's my impression of CAC:
    • Led by one of the most respected Numismatists in the hobby
    • Green Bean means they think the coin is graded properly by their strict grading standards.
    • Gold Bean means they believe it's at least 1 point under graded.
    • They make markets with CAC coins
    • They will actively bid on CAC coins
    • They will buy CAC coins from individual collectors as well
    In general, I think CAC coins garner a premium in the market. Sometimes it's slight and other times it's big.

I've seen many CAC coins that I would not buy personally. I have seen many CAC coins that I would buy. I have many, many coins with CAC stickers. I have many, many coins without CAC stickers. I have submitted coins to CAC as well. If I were going to sell my coin collection, I'd send every one of my coins to CAC that had a potential value >$500.

Two Dogs, wxcoin, markr and 4 others like this.
  14. baseball21

15. baseball21

Couple hundred thousand at best and that’s probably me over estimating it. Mercy dimes, Morgan’s, and lower ms ommeratives get stickers at a better rate than others and even those don’t crack a 100k individually. Morgan’s are probably the most stickered of them all and still are WELL short of 100k. Plenty of other series the sticker rate barely cracks a couple thousand at best and some of the expensive series it’s much less.

There’s definitely not millions of them.

More than that. Less than 1 percent of what they sticker gets gold last I looked. It’s more like 2 points or at the very least a coin the would sticker at the next highest grade so really undergraded. A low end next grade up doesn’t get gold from what I’ve seen.

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Bravo! Author! Author!

JPeace$ likes this.
  17. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Get well soon, Randy!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  18. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

I agree with JP here - while I've examined my share of CAC'd coins that have obvious issues (usually minor "enhancements" when found), the sticker at least provides some assurance that the coin, if it's the type I'm looking for, is at least worthy of a quick look & consideration. These days, if I find a coin in my series of interest that doesn't have a CAC sticker, I'll scrutinize the coin much more closely, looking for signs of minor tooling or artificial enhancement, which is frequently missed by the TPGs. For those TPG graded, non-CAC'd coins that have been over-processed and obviously dipped out, yet still straight-graded in the name of "market-acceptability", there's no need to even pull it out of the case.

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Hmmm - I'm reminded of a rather popular saying from a TV show - "You know nothing Jon Snow"

20. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Oddly..... I found this ad in a coin magazine I picked up at the show...

A9449DDC-8BAA-4C51-A2EF-730AC98AAD4B.jpeg

Paul M., furham, Kasia and 2 others like this.
  21. baseball21

Please do fill us in on your extensive experience with them.

Actual knowledge requires experience

Draft saved Draft deleted