CAC or the next grade up?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Beefer518, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

If you were looking at a coin (pick a coin, any coin), and there were two in your price range, with a (relatively) small difference in price, would you go with the CAC'd, or the one graded the next up?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

No way to answer with that little information. Common date common grade probably the next grade up, anything rarer/more expensive probably the CAC

Beefer518 likes this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'd pick the one that looked better to me.

5. Beefer518

I have no coin in mind, so I really can't get more specific, but let's say we're talking MS coins. It's just an 'in general' question. I realize there are a gazillion variables, and we'll say for argument's sake they are both blast white coins, so the toning variable is out.

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Although I agree this can't be generalized, if we generalize anyway ( :) ), I go with the CAC coin.

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

In that instance I'd stand by my initial statement, common date common grade where it really doesn't matter probably the next grade up and rarer more expensive where it probably does matter probably the cac. Even then though whether or not I think it had been submitted for the non cac would matter, and whether or not I thought they were right would matter too. CAC matters but I value the PCGS opinion more if I have to pick between the two

8. Night*Hawk

Night*Hawk Junior Member

Go with your gut and pick the one you like best.

9. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Next grade up, always for me. If it doesn't CAC at that grade, it probably would at the other grade anyways, lol. I really just don't care about CAC, unless it's a gold sticker.

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% as many forget that collecting coins is a personal choice.
    What you choose to collect, how you wish to display,and storing your collection.
    As a collector no matter what ever you collect,I personally feel that one should know everything about what they are collecting. Meaning that your confort zone should be the same as buying a coin raw as well as slabed.
    After all a slab or a sticker does not guarantee what you're buying is in fact legit.
    No matter what you collect ,art,coins,stamps,medals ,etc..... you're only as good as the knowledge you process on the subject matter.
    Does such knowledge safe guard you from making a mistake..... no! Does relying on a slab or sticker safe guard you? Ah no!
    However for my money I rather be making my choices basis ed on my experience then paying someone else for theirs.

Seattlite86 and jtlee321 like this.
  11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And most possibly, 'the next grade up', but it would have to be pleasing to this louts' eye......

12. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

If you collected ancient coins, this question would not arise. Yes, we care about quality, but do not attempt to quantify it on a linear scale the way US coin collectors do. When coins were hand made and two thousand years have elapsed there are far more factors than "grade" to care about.

Take a look at the CoinTalk ancients forum:
    https://www.cointalk.com/forums/ancients/
    to see that things other than "grade" can be interesting.

13. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I assume if you're seriously considering buying one of the two that it's already established that you like them both. And assuming you're reasonably discriminating, then the higher graded coin would have a good shot at a green sticker; so go for it. As @jwitten commented, good chance the higher graded coin would have gotten a green sticker at the lower grade.

Cal

14. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I would prefer CAC if there wasn't a large price spread between the grades and holding everything else constant. Eye appeal would be the main driver in any case.

15. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

In my experience the CAC coins *usually* have outstanding eye appeal, which is something I've learned to appreciate. So generally I would go with the CAC coin.

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

What could you possibly be learning from any of our answers, then? Certainly nothing that could help you decide anything. I will say this, but it's not going to help anything, but we look at a MS65CAC and a MS66, and if the price differential is nominal, we buy the one we like the best.

17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Always take the higher grade if you agree with it.

Paddy54 and calcol like this.
  18. Beefer518

Well, it seems so far that most feel that a CAC'd coin of X grade has a good chance of having better appeal then the same coin in the next grade up. And it also seems that the CAC can add a premium of almost a full grade for some folks.

I posed the question only because I see a lot of CAC coins priced close to the next grade up, and was wondering which most would choose.

I always go for the higher grade, myself.

Paddy54 and eddiespin like this.
  19. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

This is a bit of a loaded question. While I like CAC and I'm a member, I have yet to buy a coin with a CAC sticker already on it. Not because I don't like them, but because I'm the kind of guy who likes to bargain hunt. I really enjoy finding that diamond in the rough. So if that CAC coin has a premium of nearly the next grade up, I'd probably pass on it, unless I REALLY liked it. I might not buy the coin in the next grade up either, again I'd really have to like the coin. If the coin in the next grade up had already been to CAC and did not pass, I'd more than likely pass on it as well. This is a really difficult question to answer as there are so many variables in play here.

I don't mind paying a premium, but the coin has to justify it to me. The CAC sticker alone will not justify it to me.

20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Give it the old eyeball test.

21. Beefer518

Ok, let's try this.

These 1900-O's sold for a difference of $12.09. One of them is a CAC, the other is a grade higher, with no CAC. I think that the price difference is negligible enough that it really doesn't play a part in a buyer's decision between the two.

Can you tell which is the higher grade?

and...

Looking at the two, which would you buy, coin #1, or coin #2?

1900 Morgans (Custom).jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted