Ca Diamond Jubilee Coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by VistaCruiser69, Jan 25, 2020.

1. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

B8F30222-6D11-413E-950A-2CAED5607D44.jpeg 4409474F-026F-43D3-96B7-140747B5D3F2.jpeg I found this the other day in an old piece of furniture I was tearing apart to fit into a dumpster. Is this coin real or just some trinket of some type?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

It is a United States commemorative half dollar. It is in the "Red Book" or A Guide Book of United States Coins.

I have a similar one:

[​IMG]
    United States Half Dollar 1925-S California Diamond Jubilee

:)

4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

That is a very nice find! A beautiful coin in excellent condition. icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

Not sure how much you know about coins. Don't try to clean it. Just leave it as is.

5. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Nice find! You're on your way to a set of classic commemorative half dollars..

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Cool find. As others have said. A classic commemorative half dollar. It is US legal tender and made of 90% silver. Absolutely is a genuine coin and a very cool find. Congratulations.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yes it's real and it's a commemorative coin. Nice find. Leave as is.

8. VistaCruiser69

Wow. I thought is was some type of trinket. Thank you for the information. The furniture belonged to an elderly friend of mine. So I’ll give it to him that next tim I see him. His kids were my friends when I also was a kid. The furniture was his mother’s that he kept in a storage unit. He’s 86 years old so this coin no doubt must have been his mothers. he was born and raised in San Francisco, as was his parents. He’s in the process of getting rid of everything from the storage and I’m helping him out by taking some of it out to our company dumpster. I think he’ll be delighted that I found this coin before it was thrown away.

9. VistaCruiser69

Here's the update on this coin. I saw my friend last night, the one who is having me throw out a bunch of his mothers old furniture. I presented the coin to him last night and he was pretty shocked about it. He's not the type of guy who hangs on to stuff, even for sentimental value, as indicated by his desire to get rid of all of his late mother's furniture and home furnishings from the storage unit. I gave him the information about the coin, and added that it's made of silver. His wife was there in the room and she took a look at it and then chimed in "we should clean it". I informed her that it will lose value if it's cleaned. She didn't really understand why so I'm sure if she gets her hands on it, she's going to try and clean it. She's 82 years old so hopefully she doesn't put any efforts into trying to clean it.

Basically I told him it's worth some money (at least $100 bucks from what I see on ebay for a coin in this condition) and if he ever decides he wants to sell or get rid of it, just let me know and I'll pay him for it. He was just going to toss it up on his tool counter in his garage. I told him to put it in a good place so it doesn't get damaged. I told him that if it gets damaged, (or cleaned) it will go down in value. That caught his attention so he put it in a better place.

Draft saved Draft deleted