C-Gall SUPER UPGRADE!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Aug 13, 2020.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I’m personally not the greatest fan of sand park as, but it’s to much of a risk removing as it who knows what’s hiding underneath...

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Three days to be exact. :D Did you give it an acetone bath, or are my pics of it just much much worse?

4. hotwheelsearl

That’s certainly a SUPER upgrade!

TIF likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

No acetone, just a drop or two of Verdicare.

zumbly likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks! :)

I fell asleep last night before answering your question. Sorry! :sorry:

You'll see those divots called various things but on this board they are typically called centration dimples or more accurately, "lathe dimples". They are the result of a flan-making process in which the not-yet-struck flans are turned on a lathe to make the surfaces more even.

There have been many discussions about them but here's a post by @Roman Collector in which he coins the term "lathe dimples" and he provides a often-shown link about the flan making process.

7. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

No worries, and Many Thanks!
    I like it when explanations of things like this, that I would never have imagined, make this level of improbably immediate, intuitive sense! Thanks for the link to Roman Collector's post, too.

8. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Constantius Gallus - AE3

Obv:– DN CONSTANTIVS IVN NOB C, Bare, bust draped and cuirassed right; A behind bust
    Rev:– FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Soldier spearing fallen horseman, who is wearing a Phrygian cap, reaching backwards
    Minted in Siscia (// BSIS),
    Reference:– It would appear to be unlisted unless I am missing something.

It measures 19.20 mm and weighs 2.44 gms

[​IMG]

9. hotwheelsearl

Nice! Definitely high end of the AE3 level. Amazing surfaces a a full solid strike. Beautiful

Draft saved Draft deleted