C. 55 BC AR Denarius P.L. Crassus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gmarguli, Jan 9, 2006.

1. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

I'm not really an ancient coin collector. Just starting out buying ones that look interesting to me. Here is one I won from the Heritage NYINC auction.

I know nothing about it. I liked the design and the color.

Heritage says: C. 55 BC AR Denarius A. Plautius. Bacchius beside camel; IVDAEVS. Crawford 431/1. ICG AU50

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

<@> <@> WOW, Nice coin!!!

Bone

4. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I like it realy nice detail :hail:

De Orc :kewl:

5. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Very nice!
    This is indeed an A Platius denarius of 55BC.Here is the Wildwinds description of on that is almost identical.IVDAEVS probably means Judea.
    A Plautius Denarius. 55 BC. Turreted head of Cybele right, A PLAVTIVS before, AED CVR SC behind supplicant offerng palm-branch, camel behind; IVDAEVS before, BACCHIVS below. Cr431/1, Syd 932, Hendin 741.
    You have to be careful because this coin has a lot of known fakes out there but your certainly looks like the real thing.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/thumbnails.php?album=21
    There are also a lot of examples of this coin selling for up to $300 here:
    http://www.coinarchives.com/a/results.php?results=100&search=Plautia

Attached Files:

6. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

I'm somewhat choosey of who I buy from. Considering this was a Heritage auction and the coin is also certified by ICG, I have no worries about its authenticity. When I buy on eBay, that is another situation. Some of the ancient coin sellers make me cringe.

Looking over the auction records site, it appears that what I paid ($170 and there was another coin included in the lot, a "Julia Mamaea. Rome. Juno and peacock. ICG VF25") was a very good deal.

7. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Crassus has a lean and hungry look ...

Apparently, I am not, either... Why did you call this CRASSUS when the coin carries the name Plautius?

Also, good catch at $170! Anything with "Judaea" on it usually gets a lot of attention at an auction.

8. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Nice coin. The detail is amazing.

9. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

Because that is what is says on the ICG slab, "P.L. Crassus". I honestly have no idea if that is the correct ID of the coin. I'll do a little research and also ask the ICG ancient coin grader if it is correct. If not, I'll have them reholder it.

10. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

The coin looks like it is from Egypt or very close with the front bust and what looks like greek/ indo-greek lettering on the coin

Nice coin though.

11. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

YN,This is a Roman coin,actually struck at a mint in the city of Rome.The lettering is all Roman,same as we use today,except the V's are actually U's and the I's are sometimes J's.It is a Republican coin because at this time in history,Rome was actually a republic,Until Julius Caesar came to power as dictator.

12. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

I showed it to an ancient coin deler and he said one is the mint master and the other the person on the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted