Byzantine Solidus - Considering purchasing an ancient coin.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Joe2007, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

I'm mostly a collector of U.S. coins but I've been fascinated with ancients for several years now. Up until now I'd been hesitant in making the plunge and actually purchasing an ancient coin since I really don't know much about them. Recently this coin came into a local coin shop and I've been considering scraping together the funds to purchase it. Could you all advise me on what a fair price would be so I don't pay too much or lowball the dealer too badly. This coin was graded MS by NGC. Thanks, Joe2007.
    byzantine obv.jpg byzantine rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

I hate to be a naysayer but I would hold out for a nicer example with a more pleasing strike and centering. These are very common, even in high grade. Fair retail on this one imho is probably not much over $400, maybe $450 tops. Compare these recent auction results for quality and price: http://bit.ly/1KzEZAY

Ancientnoob likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. Paid $350 for mine a few years ago.
    Constans II and Constantine IV.png
    Constans II and ConstantineIV

stevex6, Orfew, Ancientnoob and 3 others like this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid to come away from the slabs!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hi, @Joe2007-- welcome to Ancients!

I agree with the others... unless you can get that solidus for a very good price, keep looking for a better example. NGC's grade is irrelevant. As Bing pointed out, the obverse is weakly struck from worn dies. Both sides are off center.

It's still a very worthy coin (almost any ancient is :D), but only at a certain price. Does the coin shop handle many ancients? If not, I bet they see NGC's dubious grade of "MS" and and assume this coin is extremely valuable. It's ancient and mint state... must be worth a fortune, right? :D

Don't be afraid to buy a raw coin from a reputable dealer. We've sounded off about slabbing in many threads; most of us prefer raw coins and promptly crack open any slabbed ancient coins.

When considering a purchase, it is good to check prices for comparable coins. Here are some good places to look:

CNG's archives
    acsearch
    Vcoins, for currently offered coins (most stores don't maintain "sold" archives)
    eBay's advanced search for "sold" coins

Happy hunting! Oh, one more thing. If you want an opinion about a coin which is currently up for auction, it's best to ask opinions by private message rather than on the open forum.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    zumbly and Orfew like this.
  8. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

When I see what the dealers offer of Byzantine gold coins, called Solidus, later Histamenon, and later Hyperpyron, I think gold coins from the era of Justinian(about 530CE) until Constans II(about760CE) are the most common, and thus most affordable.

Actually Hyperpyron from around 1260CE and onwards are also affordable, but these are hardly gold anymore due to debasement.

If you went to numismatic stories to pay fixed price, I think the fixed price would be 330-450 Euro for that Solidus. Or at least, that is what I think is a fair fixed-price.

However, if you have patience to an auction, and make a (wise) bid few seconds before it closes in order to avoid tempting others to make a bid, then one probably could win one with a lower price.

I won mine Heraclius in an auction with the hammerprice and fee of 290Euro:

z 610-641 Heraclius with Heraclius Constantine Solidus 4,42g;22mm 290 S738.jpg

On obverse some part of legends are gone or are less obvious, but Heraclius’ name is there, and as well is his face obvious. – On the reverse side the “VICTORIA”-letters are gone, but the reverse side was not important as the obverse side to me.

stevex6, Orfew, Bing and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted