Byzantine silver

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Sep 29, 2016.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

About a year ago a favorite dealer had two very nice Byzantine silver coins and I was completely lacking in anything similar to them. The cheaper was $350 and the nicer twice that. I could not convince myself I was that interested. Friday another dealer had a lesser example of the lesser type for a much, much lower price. Realizing that I was unlikely to find one any better at a price I would accept, I bought it. The coin has a major fault. It has been clipped removing silver from the edges crowding a bit of the right side reverse legend and has a bit of wear.
    rz0465fd3358.jpg
    John I Tzmisces 969-976 AD AR miliaresion
    portrait of John on globe in center of cross crosslet
    + IhSUS XRI STUS ҺICA *around and IШ - AҺ inside circle /
    + IШAҺҺ’/ЄҺ XШ AVTO/CRAT, ЄVSЄЬ’/ЬASILЄVS/RШMAIШ'

Show your Byzantine silver.

Okidoki, Pellinore, Jwt708 and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

As you wish!

Byzantine Empire
    Eastern Roman Empire
    Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine
    AR Hexagram 22.0 mm x 6.28 g
    Constantinople mint. 610-640 AD
    Obv. dd NN HERAKLIUS et hERA CONST Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine seated facing on double throne
    Rev. Large DEUS ADIUTA ROMANIS Cross potent above three steps (God Help the Romans)
    ref# S 798

HHCHexagram.jpg

Okidoki, Pellinore, Jwt708 and 8 others like this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great coin Doug, I would have snapped it up in an instant! I wouldn't have known about the clipping it you hadn't told me - I would have assumed an off-center strike. Evidently you had a great show - so far, I want each and every one of your new coins.

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

yeah, the clipping is very subtle...i wouldn't have noticed either.

no byzantine silver...on my list...

[​IMG]

Okidoki likes this.
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

So jealous right now. @dougsmit that is an incredibly interesting coin. Yours too @Ancientnoob. Real winners!

I've been wanting some Byzantine silver for a while, but I keep only finding bronzes for sale. At the rate I'm going it may be a while before I add a Byzantine coin. Limiting myself to silver and high grade billon can be such a bummer sometimes. I'm starting to wonder why I made that stupid rule.

Alegandron likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While I agree with that question, I might suggest you also consider a very low gold content electrum scyphate that has a gray color. These vary a lot and are not all that expensive.

8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Electrum csyphate? I'm not familiar with that. Do you have an example? I know there is electrum with gold hues or somewhat silvery with a deluded golden hint, but not sure I'm familiar with the coins you are referring to with the gray color, or that term you used to describe them.

9. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing those both of you

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Interesting Byzantine miliaresion... for a "lesser example", it looks quite nice to me. Did these get very thin for their size?

I haven't gone very far into collecting Byzantine coins, but a hexagram was too cool not to get.

upload_2016-9-30_9-49-51.png
    BYZANTINE EMPIRE
    Heraclius, with Heraclius Constantine

AR Hexagram. 6.42g, 25mm. Constantinople mint, AD 615-638. DOC 64; Hahn MIB 140; Sear Byzantine 798. O: ∂∂ NN hЄRACLIЧ Єτ hЄRA COnS, Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine seated facing on double throne, each crowned and holding globus cruciger; cross between. R: ∂ЄЧS A∂IЧτA ROmANIS, cross potent on globe above three steps; K to right.

Okidoki, Johndakerftw, Jwt708 and 6 others like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

hhttps://www.google.com/search?q=https://ele...hWFGz4KHZnrBLcQ_AUICSgE#imgrc=fuN6GuSI-GEZEM:
    It is hard to tell from catalog photos but when you see them in the trays you will see a color variation from coin to coin. Electrum is a mix of metals with no consistent proportions. The above link shows some that look AR but I am not sure that is not part the photography. I only have one and I picked it to look gold so it is no good for this. Of course there is my flat John VIII below which really is silver but my comment was to point out that there is a curved silver color option for your silver specialty.
    rz0660bb1974.jpg

12. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Gotta like the Byzantine silver, so much variety and denominations.
    Scyphates are the cup shaped Byzantine coins made in all metals.
    b122.jpg
    Andronicus II/Michael IX
    Constantinople
    AR Basilikon
    1295 to 1320 AD
    Obvs: IC - XC KVRIE BOHΘE, Christ enthroned.
    Revs: AVTΩKPATO-PEC PωMAION, Andronicus and Michael holding labarum between them.
    20mm, 1.70g
    b114.jpg
    Isaac II
    1185 to 1195 AD
    Electrum aspron trachy
    Obvs: The Virgin enthroned facing, nimbate and wearing pallium and maphorium; she holds infant Christ.
    Revs: Archangel Michael, beardless and nimbate on right and Issac on left. Michael holds jeweled scepter and crowns emperor.
    26x30mm, 3.2g
    Constantinople mint
    b278.jpg
    Commemorating Constantinople
    5th/6th c. AD
    Mint: Constantinople
    AR Scripulum
    Obvs: Helmeted, draped, and cuirassed bust of Constantinopolis right.
    Revs: Large K.
    13x15mm, 1.07g

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great OP-additions, Mentor ... congrats!!

Ummm, how 'bout this baby? (does it qualify as Byzantine Silver?)

ARMENIA, Cilician Armenia. Royal. Levon I. AR Tram
    1198-1219 AD
    Diameter: 22 mm
    Weight: 2.75 grams
    Obverse: Levon seated facing on throne decorated with lions, holding cross and lis-tipped scepter
    Reverse: Two lions rampant back-to-back, each with head reverted; between, cross pattée set on spear
    Reference: AC 289

Armenia Cilician.jpg

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, or how 'bout this humble example? ... does it belong in this thread?

=> it is listed as "BI" in the ol' metal category

Isaac II BI Trachy
    1185-1195 AD
    Mary with baby Christ & Isaac II

Byz Isaac II.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted