Byzantine Phocas 602-610

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Nov 14, 2017.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coins all

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Great looking coins, everyone. I like Byzantine stuff and I especially like Phocas - he was such an awful guy. His column is the newest ancient monument in the Roman Forum, but you probably already knew that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Column_of_Phocas

I have a couple, here is one that I really like because of its weird, bright blue partial patina:

Phocas - Follis Con $3.25 Feb 14.jpg

Johndakerftw, Bing, Curtisimo and 2 others like this.
  4. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

Nice catch, Warren! Here are a few of my Phocas pieces exhibiting different styles, plus a few non-Phocas coins with prominent cross (if not multiple crosses!) S0656o.jpg
    S0656r.jpg S0665YR6o.JPG S0665YR6r.JPG S0670.02.jpg S0672A.jpg S0551x.JPG S0551y.JPG S1512.01.jpg

5. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

This is a Pseudo/Byz fals. Notice at this point in time the cross is present. This circulated in Balad al Sham after the Arab conquest of Byzantine lands such as Syria, Lebanon. Most likely looking at patination and style, it was struck in Damascus. I'll post another Byz coin later....I hope I can find it in whatever file it is lurking.:pompous: Nice coin Valentinian and great pics and info on all who have provided fun stuff to this thread. Cheers! Pseudo Byz Phase I Sica 525 OBV.jpg Pseudo Byz Phase I Sica 525 OBV.jpg Pseudo Byz Phase I Sica 525 REV.jpg

Curtisimo, Alegandron, Bing and 4 others like this.
  6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

We could play a "most crosses on an Islamic coin" game too. The most I can manage is three:

Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 12.59.27 PM.png
    AE fals, struck under Mu 'awiya (661-680) in Hims (Emesa). Obv. Standing imperial figure, holding long cross and globus cruciger; bismillah to left; K/A/Λ/O/H (= “good”) to right. Rev. Large M; above, monogram flanked by stars; Δ below; Є/M/[H]-C/i/C across; tayyib (= “good”) in exergue.

7. Black Friar

I did locate it, and as promised, here is the a coin that bears many crosses. I have five or six of these Class A2 S.1813, or class A3 S.1818 depending on Metcalf or Grierson who does no recognize the class A3. Ah the fun of Byzantine numimatics. It has a luscious dusty olive patina. ConstanineVIIILatinCross.jpg

Curtisimo, Quant.Geek, Bing and 5 others like this.
  8. Black Friar

The variety with many crosses on obverse is much scarcer than other ornaments. Most are found in very poor grade.

9. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

With over 60 varieties of ornamentation, the crosses type is more desirable than most.
    SB1813ClassA2wCrosses800.jpg
    Sear 1813. Large at 32-30 mm, 12.74 grams.
    This example has seven crosses visible, four on the obverse and three on the reverse (above and below the legend, as well as the first symbol in the legend, +IhSUS ...

@Black Friar's has unusually well-preserved facial features on Christ. Mine is more typical for having the face worn almost flat.

Curtisimo, Quant.Geek, Bing and 4 others like this.
  10. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

That's an extremely lovely example. Congrats!

11. Black Friar

Thanks for the feedback. I purchased it from Alex Basok at the NYC ANA Convention years ago. Glad you enjoyed the photo.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  12. Black Friar

It still is far and away a most excellent example. Cool Beans.

Alegandron likes this.
  13. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

I forgot I had one of those folles. It was one of the first Byzantine coins I bought and it sucked me into this wonderful series:

[​IMG]

14. Black Friar

That my friend is a great coin! From one sucked in to another: Welcome aboard.
    Cheers.

Quant.Geek and 7Calbrey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted