Byzantine Literature

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Quant.Geek, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

In my quest to better document certain coinage, I am in the need of a few pages from the following byzantine books. I am certain someone has Morrisson, but Bates might be more difficult. If you have either of these books, can you please send me clear images of the following coins from the book?

George E. Bates, A Byzantine Coin Collection, Boston, Mass. 1981

Need pictures for the following coins from Bates, pg 131?, Nos. 3078, 3086, 3095, 3096

C. Morrisson, Catalogue des monnaies byzantines de la Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris 1970

Need pictures for the following coins from Morrison, pg 599, No. 78, 79, 81

Thanks,

QG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

They are not pictured in the book. So, perhaps you mean the types of those coins as opposed to those particular coins. So, can you tell the list what types they are so that people here who have examples can respond?

Quant.Geek likes this.
  4. Quant.Geek

Hi Valentinian,

I should have been more clearer. I am researching Class B folles and the ones I mentioned above are different from the one that is typically found. The ornamentation is different on those. The reference paper I am using indicated those coins with the aforementioned coin and page numbers. Unfortunately, the paper does not provide pictures. I'll send out a detailed post once I got my resources :)

Thanks,

QG

5. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

The numbers you mention are not photographed in the Bates book either. I'm attaching a scan of the page that you cite. I hope this is of some help.

Attached Files:

Quant.Geek likes this.
  6. Quant.Geek

You guys are awesome! Thanks. Bates was a long shot, but CT pulled through...

7. Quant.Geek

For Morrison, is there some description of the coins themselves? I need to know what type of ornamentation it contains..

8. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

It is a small circle for Byzantine coins here and it looks like 3 of us have a book only 200 copies were made. I too have a Bates catalog.

Btw Ram. I just got today a book you would appreciate. The coins of the Byzantine Palaeologos family in the coin circulation of the Bulgarian kingdom in the period 1269-1396 , by Konstantin Dochev , this one is in English as well as bulgarian. He does a nice job with coin pics in center and each side flanked by that sides line drawing.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  9. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Here is the page:
    MorrissonClassB.jpg

Quant.Geek and Roman Collector like this.
  10. Quant.Geek

Thanks a lot! I wish there were some pictures as the some of the ornamentations are different.

11. Quant.Geek

I also picked up that book and its not too bad with his coin pics. Makes identification a bit easier for this time period!

BenSi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted