Byzantine Empire, Justin II & Sophia AE Half Follis, 565-578 AD, Thessalonica mint

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

justin-11-sophia.jpg

Byzantine Empire, Justin II & Sophia AE Half Follis, 565-578 AD, Thessalonica mint

OBV: DN IVSTINVS PP AVG, Justin on left, Sophia on right, seated facing on double-throne, both nimbate, Justin holding cross on globe, Sophia holding sceptre.

REV: Large K, ANNO to left, cross above, Delta officina letter to right, mintmark TES.

REF: SB 366, MIB 70.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5674&pos=1

Justinian555AD.png

Justin II had a vast amount of territory to manage after the death of Justinian I the great in 565 AD that was so very close to a nearly complete restoration of the Roman Empire. He also started his reign with a great deal of adversity which resulted in several natural disasters including a outbreak of the Bubonic plague in the 540s and for sometime afterwards. The treasury was nearing depletion from overspending and paying expensive tributes to Persia and the Avars.

Justin II's policy to discontinue paying tribute ended in disaster as the truce between those two powers ended and war resumed. The final result was that Italy was lost to the Lombards and war continued with Sasanian Iran. As the failures of plans to hold territories continued, Justin II slipped into a progressing insanity that he had to abdicate into retirement. Tiberius II Constantine succeeded Justin II as Caesar in 574, as well as administering the empire while Justin II's insanity progressed.

Post those Justin II coins if you like.

panzerman, paschka, stevex6 and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice addition.

[​IMG]
    Justin II & Sophia (565 - 578 A.D.)
    Æ Follis
    O: D N VSTI NVS P P AV, nimbate figures of Justin and Sophia seated facing on double throne, holding globus cruciger and cruciform scepter, respectively.
    R: Large M; A/N/N/O to left, Chi-Rho above, (date) to right; B//CON
    Constantinople Mint, Year 10
    29mm
    14g
    DOC I 38; SB 360

panzerman, paschka, TIF and 8 others like this.
  4. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I have this Pentanummium of Justin II which was struck in Antioch as a monogram. Mono Just2.jpg Mono Justi R.jpg

panzerman, TIF, stevex6 and 7 others like this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Cool pick-up @Gil-galad !!

Byzantine coins are still a bit lower down my 'wantlist' right now, but climbing rapidly:)

Gil-galad likes this.
  6. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Always had a soft spot for Dr. Crazy( Emperor Justin II).
    A pity that his screw ups took both Emperors Tiberius II Constantine and Maurice, most of their reigns to fix. Hats of to those two, especially Emperor Maurice.
    IMG_1485.JPG
    Justin II. 565-578. AV Semissis (18mm, 2.16 g, 6h). Constantinople mint. Diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Victory seated right on trophy, inscribing shield set on knee; star to left, reversed staurogram to lower right; CONOB. DOC 12; MIBE 10; SB 352. Good VF.

See
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-madness-of-the-emperor-justin-ii.282008/#post-2483224
    For more

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice!! => sweet OP-score, Daryl (man, you're posting a whole lotta coins lately!!)

Ummm, I also have a fairly cool example from this dude ...

Justin II AE Pentanummium

565-578 AD
    Diameter: 14.7 mm
    Weight: 1.9 grams
    Obverse: Monogram
    Reverse: Large E; K right (Cyzique Mint)

Byzantine Justin II.JPG

Pishpash, paschka, Gil-galad and 4 others like this.
  8. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Totally awesome, guys!!

We have one follis, two pentanummiums and one AV Semisis!! Very nice coins for sure!!

Magnus Maximus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted