Byzantine Empire: gold tremissis of Justinian I, ca. 527-565 AD

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, May 20, 2018.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

47.4%
  3. 8

26.3%
  4. 7

15.8%
  5. 6

5.3%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

5.3%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Byzantine Empire: gold tremissis of Justinian I, ca. 527-565 AD
    01-Justinian-frame.png
    Obverse: D N IVSTINIANVS P P AVI, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: VICTORIA AVGVSTORVM, Victory standing right, head left, holding wreath and cross on globe, star to right, mintmark CONOB.

Issuer: Byzantine emperor Justinian I (527-565 AD).
    Specifications: Gold, 15 mm, 1.50 g. Constantinople mint.
    Grade: NGC MS; Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5, "wrinkled", cert. #4170211-001. Purchased raw.
    Reference: DOC 19; MIBE 19; SB 145.*
    Provenance: Ex-Classical Numismatic Group eAuction 294, Lot 820, 16 January 2013.*
    Notes: Justinian the First, otherwise known as "Justinian the Great", was known for his legal reforms, which became the foundation upon which much of modern civil law in the West rests to this day.

Comments: Despite some slight waviness to the flan, this is a very well struck tremissis. Josh Moran of Civitas Galleries commented on the Collectors Universe forums: "I don't know that I've seen a better portrait on a Justinian tremissis. Very nice example." I consider that high praise.

01-Justinian-frame.png 02-Justinian-black.png 03-Justinian-gradient.png 04-Justinian-white.png 05-Justinian-coinscape.png 06-Justinian-shadowbox.png 07-Justinian-slab.png

038563S

chrsmat71, Curtisimo, Bing and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

There was an earlier (2016) thread about this coin, but it was easier to create a new one than to retool the old one to my new format. (Eventually I will be linking to all these individual coin writeups from a master collection thread.)

The third-party certification result on this one was better than expected. CNG called the coin "Good VF, slightly wavy flan, small edge split".*
    NGC "promoted" it to Mint State with "wrinkled" notation, taking note of the excellent strike with a 5/5 rating.

From my point of view, the slight waviness to the flan is not at all objectionable.

Feel free to post your similar coins if you like.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I gave it a nine. Pretty sweet coin.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

Thanks. I gave it a nine myself. "Nine" is how I've voted in most (not all) of the polls I'm now embedding in these writeups.

Obviously there is some owner bias there. I did give some favorites the "ten" treatment, but not all of my coins, by any means. My votes in the polls usually range from 8 to 10. I would hypothetically keep a 7 in my collection for a while, but only on a short-term basis before I upgraded it or replaced it with something else.

Draft saved Draft deleted