Byzantine ( Eastern Roman)Anonymous follis Share your examples

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by BenSi, Jul 19, 2018.

1. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Anonymous follis, This is a Class A3 29mm but 10.3gm , I know this coin is rough but I really think the Portrait is one of the memorable ones I have seen.

Please feel free to share your examples. anonymous3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I literally have a 100 of these but no A3.
    b284.jpg Class A

b149.jpg Class B

b070.jpg Class C
    b277.jpg
    Class F

b036.jpg Class G
    b273.jpg Class H

b191.jpg Class I

b269.jpg Class J

b195.jpg Class K

b290.jpg Class N

4. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

That is a really nice collection David, I really like that class N and your class A. Here is my class B 29.61mm and 11.9gm anonymousclassb.jpg

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Nice @BenSi ! The face of Christ on my coins is just a "smudge" ususally, yours look great! Attractive patina as well!

Deacon Ray and BenSi like this.
  6. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great coin. It has one of the better noses I have seen!

My wife picked up a hand full at a recent show.
    DSCN0630.JPG
    DSCN0631.JPG
    Not much in the way of noses on mine.

7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I agree, that's a very appealing portrait on that A3, very nice B too! My A3 (or possibly light A2... it's 12.5g) is also my favourite anon. follis portrait:
    Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 11.21.56 PM.jpg

I also like my B (need new photos of both of these):
    Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 11.24.00 PM.jpg

That A1 is spectacular, @David@PCC, and of course the Basilacius!!

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice portrait (and nose :D) on that A3, @BenSi!

I have a smattering of mostly unremarkable folles from a mixed lot.

Class A3, SB 1818
    [​IMG]

Class A3 or is it Class A2? (12.3 gm, 29 mm), SB 1818
    [​IMG]

Class D, SB 1836
    [​IMG]

Class G, SB 1867
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I had theory on that, @chrsmat71 I've owned two and they were the same way. The face was worn but most of the other details were visible. At first I thought that it was due to the face being the highest point on the coin. Later it occurred to me that it could be the result of people instinctively rubbing their thumb over the face over many years and wearing it down. People may have kept the coins as religious tokens or good luck charms.

BenSi likes this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I see this as a real possibility. I am particularly fond of the large A2's which come in a huge array of styles both considering the scroll decorations and the lettering. My favorite is 15.7g, worn and holed. I am fond of the style of the letter A's. Do you think this hung on a ribbon around the neck of a believer? The placement of the hole rotates the face to orient properly in the right hand. When you get a holed coin, ask yourself why the hole is where it is. Random? I don't think so. Are coins like this as important to numismatics as slabbed proofs? That is your decision to make for yourself.
    rz0495fd2416.jpg

My A3 has been shown here too many times so I'll show another A2 (17g). I believe this one was made noseless by the high relief.
    rz0500bb2288.jpg

I assume everyone has these links:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Anonymous Follis

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Anonymous Byzantine Class A Folles

11. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Though harsh, stained with irregular shape.. They're still very dear and "morally" AnonByzan R.jpg AnonByza O.jpg ByzCross.jpg ByzJesus R.jpg valuable to me, just like relics.

12. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Only one of these for me so far. It’s a bit rough, but came in the uncleaned lot I bought (thus, it cost me 15 cents...)

Anc-11a-R5-k0976-Basil II-N40-1813.jpg
    Byzantine Empire
    Basil II and Constantine VIII, r. 976-1025 A.D.
    AE Follis/40 Nummi, Type A2, 32.92 mm x 13.6 grams
    Obv.: +ΕΜΜΑΝΟVΗΛ. I̅C̅ left, X̅C̅ right. Bust of Christ facing, wearing nimbus crown, pallium and columbium, holding book of gospels
    Rev.: +ΙhSЧS / XRISTЧS / bASILℇЧ / bASILℇ. in four lines, T Below
    Ref.: SBCV 1813

Theodosius, Deacon Ray, TIF and 5 others like this.
  13. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Romanus I Anonymous Folle - a bit worn, but still cool, at least to me...

romanus1.jpg

romanus2.jpg

14. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Here’s an early photograph of an anonymous follis. My first Byzantine coin, ex-Kern. Early photo so bad quality. A29AC18A-32D0-48BC-8FF4-1A7E81EEE959.jpeg 0BEBCF5E-1CD3-4ECE-877E-F01E48FC6078.jpeg

15. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Here is another that the nose has seen wear, I spent some time in my collecting career looking for great examples, this one is an A2 or A3 because of weight.
    Size 31.24mm
    Weight 10.10gm any4.jpg

16. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Here is my Class A, a big one at about 36mm + 17.4g

17. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Great coins all the way around. I am trying to develop a sub-collection of these. Here is an A3 (9.69g):
    [​IMG]

And here is another A3 (10.24g) with crosses in the nimbus, book and ornament:
    [​IMG]

It seems like the cross one, above, was likely an A2 that was clipped as the coin was debased over time.

18. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Another , Class F, the green on Christ's nose is not bd, it is solid but I cant remove it, I lack the skill and knowledge to do so; but it is still a really nice example. i4.jpg

19. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

My only true A2 , weight of 15gm , very large 34.52 mm/ Attractive, worn coin, but I am hoping to get a gem someday. b4.jpg

20. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

This One is a mystery , it is lacking its identity. It is a Brockage. 22mm and only 5gm but what coin is it? Bigger than a tetartera but might be a small anonymous follis. a7.jpg .

21. Eriksund

Eriksund Member

This one I got in a bunch of crusty Roman's...

Attached Files:

Theodosius, BenSi and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted