Byzantine: Constantine VII Bronzes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by arnoldoe, Feb 10, 2016.

1. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

I just got another coin to complete my set of all 5 of Constantine VII's bronze coins minted in Constantinople. The designs and history of these really moved me along with their adequate shape and suitable metallic composition.:angelic:

I thought it would be interesting to collect these since all 5 represent different periods of his reign.

[​IMG]
    1 Constantine VII Porphyrogenitus with Zoe. Struck 914-919. SB 1758.
    Constantine VII and his Mom

2--- My New Coin : Constantine VII Porphyrogenitus Struck 919-920? SB 1759 -- struck after Romanus I assumed control of the Byzantine Empire and banished Constantine's mother Zoe, but Romanus was nice enough to let Constantine remain on the coins for a short time

3 Romanus I Struck 920-944 SB 1760

began to be struck when Romanus was appointed Co-Emperor by Constantine VII (surely not coerced) and Romanus's older age made him senior Emperor.

4 Constantine VII Struck 944-953 SB 1761

struck after Romanus's sons tried to overthrow him but failed and both got banished to monasteries along with Romanus finally making Constantine VII the sole emperor.

5 Constantine VII and Romanus II Struck 953-959 SB 1762

Then in 953 Constantine added his son/Co-Emperor Romanus II to the coins..

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Nice collection. I collect Constantine VII coins with Christopher named on them. Gold is easy to find, but the silver ones are brutal. Took me nearly a decade to find a nice one for sale.

4. arnoldoe

There is this Christopher Follis too that i guess would make my collection complete, but it is unique and possibly an altered Leo VI follis.
    [​IMG]

stevex6 and Bing like this.
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice group..i still don't have on of these cats. one with CVII and zoe is high on my list however!

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Weird. I am not sure I would say that is a Christopher. On my coins its Xristofer. This one is only Xristo. Where is this listed at? I have most major Byzantine references.

7. arnoldoe

In DOC III

345s.jpg

Quant.Geek likes this.
  8. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Very nice collection. Somehow I missed this post. Glad to see more Byzantine collectors on CT!!! I have yet to complete my collection :(

Draft saved Draft deleted