Byzantine coin weight with silver inlay or Ancient Scrabble tile

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancientone, Jun 16, 2020.

1. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

I know absolutely zilch about coin weights. It looks old but does not seem to be as intricate as other Byzantine weights I have seen. This was sold as Byzantine but I am not sure and asking for any information you may have.

zzz.jpg Bronze with silver inlay. 19mm x 19mm, 8.3gm.

Regards,
    Charlie

DonnaML and Theodosius like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I would find that hard to believe to be a coin weight, especially Byzantine. It is curious though.

ancientone likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

5. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

DSCN0973.JPG
    It looks like a one Nomisma coin weight, but the weight is wrong and the N is not as square as most I have seen. The weights were used to check the weight of gold coins.
    The solidus (nomisma) had a weight of about 4.5 grams. A larger 2 Solidi should weigh 9.1 grams & have an inscription - NB

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  6. ancientone

7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Apart from everything else, and emphasizing that I have no expertise whatsoever on objects like this, it looks too new. It simply doesn't look to me like it could be 1,000 years old. I admit that I've seen, say, ancient Chinese art in museums that's quite a bit more than 1,000 years old and looks like it was made last week, but it's just an instinctive feeling I have looking at your photos.

ancientone, rrdenarius and Alegandron like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

My sentiments exactly. However, in no way am I an expert.

ancientone and rrdenarius like this.
  9. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

@DonnaML & @Alegandron I agree that it is not quite right. What bothers me most are the shape of the N and weight. A weight marked N should be about 4.55 grams +/- 25%.
    I have seen plenty of bronze items that have been cleaned to metal and repatinated. This weight could have been over cleaned by coin standards. I posted a 2 oz weight this week that was over cleaned and coated. The coating makes it hard to read.
    two oz wt tintin 6.13.20.jpg DSCN4530.JPG
    The width of the N may be a bit much also. I have a weight that looks like the silver was painted on much later (modern). Compare the two below.
    two oz pars no2 7.15.19.jpg Byzantine bronze spherical weight GamB Sextans Leu N 6.30.19.jpg

ancientone, Alegandron and DonnaML like this.
  10. ancientone

So... scrabble tile it is.

DonnaML likes this.
  11. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

A point against its being an early Scrabble tile is that it lacks a little X to denote the value in points of the Z :D

DonnaML and ancientone like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted