Byzantine Coin Question

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Xodus, Jun 10, 2024.

1. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

I have a Byzantine Coin AE Bronze, (14,1 g. 32,1 mm) but I cannot make out the letters. I am no good at Byzantine coins and was seeing that this looks like Justin II and Sophia, but the obv letters don't match. I'm struggling, could anyone help me? Thanks! Screenshot_5698.jpg Screenshot_5699.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

There are 133 combinations, and the legend is usually blundered.
    On your coin I can somewhat make out VNTLL SPM - TAMIO?A.
    Capture.JPG

4. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Justin II followed Justinian. Coins from Antioch of Justinian dated year 35 (AD 561/2) and later all have blundered legends. Other mints had fine legends, but something (I don't know what) happened at Antioch that carried over into the reign of Justin II. Coins that are very similar to the one you show from Antioch are usually quite legible if from other mints:

SB372JustinIIn1476.jpg

30 mm. 11.15 grams. Sear 372 of Justin II and Sophia, 578-582. Cyzicus mint.
    DN IVSTI - NVS PP A

For earlier disasters at Antioch, see my page about the coins of Antioch under Justinian:
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/interesting/Justinian.html#tragic
    In 2023 Antioch experienced a massive earthquake. In some ways it was an excellent site for a city, but by being on an earthquake fault line it has been repeatedly devastated by earthquakes.

5. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

Folles of Justin II and Sophia minted at Theoupolis (Antioch) have usually blundered obverse legends... Here is mine :
    upload_2024-6-12_19-13-52.png

Xodus, sand and Bing like this.
  6. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

That wine must've been hella good! Imagine if Caligula saw someone mint a coin like that. Actually, I don't want to.. lol

Draft saved Draft deleted