Byzantine Cherson....

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Quant.Geek, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Roma Numismatics had several good selections of Cherson coins today and while I was anxiously waiting for the Byzantine section to begin....15 minutes left before the lots get auctioned off and....I get yanked by my wife to help with the Thanksgiving preparations :arghh:. So, I lost several of the lots :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:.

I think she is purposely doing this so that she doesn't see another package come through the door ;). Oh well, it is Thanksgiving and I am certain more will be around the corner. Here is one of the coins I managed to snag when I placed a large bid on it early this morning. Surprised I even won a few, but none of the rare ones which I really wanted...

Basil I 'the Macedonian' Æ17. Cherson, AD 879-886. Large B on exergual line; pellets flanking / Cross floriate on three steps; pellets flanking. Sear 1719; DOC 20b; Anokhin 377-382; Oreshnikov 22. 2.89g, 17mm, 12h.

[​IMG]

As always, if you have any coins from Cherson or elsewhere, do post them!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

That's a great one. I try to stay out of the dog house as well...not easy
    b198.jpg

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm perpetually in the: man-doghouse-568556.jpg

Severus Alexander and Ryro like this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Basil as above
    rz0420bb0598.jpg

Romanus II AE17 Cherson
    rz0452bb3205.jpg

6. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

Here's one of John I, Tzimisces (969-976 AD) from the Cherson mint (ref: Sear 1794)

John I Tzimisces Cherson.jpg

7. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

@Brian Bucklan just posted one he sold to me, so I will not repeat it. I have a site on coins of Byzantine Cherson:

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Cherson/

I, too, noticed the outstanding selection in the Roma auction. The ones I wanted went far over my max. The high prices realized are proof that ugly coins can sell for a lot of money if they are the best.

Curtisimo, seth77 and Quant.Geek like this.
  8. Quant.Geek

@dougsmit : That Romanus II is really nice!

@Brian Bucklan and @Valentinian: One that is missing from my collection and its in a good state of preservation for these coins! Me like it!

Some of those coins were some of the best I have seen for Cherson. Will be difficult to get quality like that in the future...

@Valentinian: That reference page is top notch. I have been looking for some of the earlier references, but its not easy to obtain...

Severus Alexander likes this.
  9. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

These used to be extremely rare:

s-l160011.jpg

10. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Somebody must have been selling their Cherson collection. There were some amazing pieces!

Most of my Cherson coins are late Roman, but I do have a Basil I similar to (but not as nice as & more common than) the OP:

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 5.16.55 PM.jpg

Theodosius II:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 5.23.42 PM.jpg

Valentinian III:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 5.23.27 PM.jpg

Leo I:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 5.23.53 PM.jpg

Zeno:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 5.23.12 PM.jpg

seth77, Bing and Quant.Geek like this.
  11. Quant.Geek

Those Roman Cherson coins are great! I wanted one of those as well, but decided to stay away for the Byzantine ones instead, but then my better half called me :). Here are a few of my other Cherson coins:

Byzantine Empire: Basil I the Macedonian (867-886) Æ Follis, Cherson (Sear 1719)

Obv: Large B
    Rev: Cross crosslet on two steps; • to either side.

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Constantine VII Porphyrogenitus (913-959) Æ Unit, Cherson (Sear 1771; DOC 29)

Obv: Facing bust of Constantine VII, beardless, wearing robes and crown with trefoil ornament
    Rev: Large K over ω
    Dim:18.28 mm, 2.64g

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Constantine VII Porphyrogenitus and Romanus I (913-959) Æ19, Cherson Mint (Sear-1772; DOC 38)

Obv: Sear Monogram 49 of Constantine VII and Romanus I
    Rev: Sear Monogram 50 of Constantine VII and Romanus I

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Leo VI the Wise (886-912) Æ Follis, Cherson (Sear-1731; DOC 9)

Obv: Large ΛЄ
    Rev: Cross crosslet set on two steps; • to either side

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted