By what percentage would you discount a cleaned/polished

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Browns Fan, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

Morgan Dollar? I don't like them much at all but always wondered since there are so many on eBay and other sites. Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not sure what the devil you are asking.......

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Dick and Jane.......

PlanoSteve and Hookman like this.
  6. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

lol run Spot run.

PlanoSteve and Hookman like this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not a bad question, let me rephrase it. Two Morgan dollars, both XF, one cleaned/polished, the other one not. What percentage of the non-cleaned price would you pay for the cleaned example?

hotwheelsearl and slackaction1 like this.
  8. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I don’t know if I even want the cleaned example...

Stevearino and spirityoda like this.
  9. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Cleaned and polished....spot is about right unless it's a low mintage.
    Maybe a good belt buckle or pocket piece.

Stevearino likes this.
  10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Only if it's a rare key date. And then maybe half price.
    The others are not going to be much more than melt.

Stevearino likes this.
  11. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Well, like many other members said- only spot price.

In percent terms,

For example, I paid $30 for an XF 1898 S Morgan (not encapsulated), and for a cleaned 1898 S Morgan, I would pay $14/$15. So, in percentage thats ≤50% the price of a normal Morgan.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. twoshadows

twoshadows Member

Some of the key date Morgans are extremely pricey and very hard to find even in low grades and one must keep in mind, years ago, cleaning coins was an acceptable practice and with that said I would rather have a cleaned 1893S Morgan to fill a hole at a price I might be able to afford than never have one. So now that you have opened this can of worms I will say this...I do NOT like slabs that are marked cleaned as every coin found in the depths of the ocean MUST be cleaned before they can be sold but those coins are referred to as conserved and that is NOT stated on the slab? Coins are either cleaned or they are not regardless of the method used.
    Now for me, I do not buy coins marked cleaned unless it is a very rare or key date and even then I must go through a long decision process based on price versus the non-cleaned coin. If I do end up, for one reason or another, with a coin that has been slabbed and marked "Cleaned" I will remove it even if I keep it. Personally I don't know why coins that have apparently been cleaned are even sent in for authentification and grading? Should they be sold at a lower grade? I would hope so just as a coin with some damage. In the end it is up to each of us to decide what is acceptable for our collection and if you and I enjoy the coin nothing else really matters.

Cheech9712, JeffC, serafino and 4 others like this.
  13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Run away from a cleaned and polished coin. most times you only get spot silver price when you are going to sell it.

Santinidollar, Browns Fan and Paddy54 like this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

True dat

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The answer to your question varies and varies widely depending on the specific coin in question. As a general rule it can be as much as 80% or as little as 20%. And that same rule of thumb basically applies to all problem coins, regardless of the type of problem.

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Steer clear. There’s a good reason why it’s called a “problem coin.” If you buy the coin, you get the problem.

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

All you folks saying that you'll only get silver spot price for a cleaned or polished Morgan, please let me know next time you're letting a cleaned or polished 1893-S go at that price. Heck, I'll even help you out with a lowly 95-S or 89-CC. ;)

(note to mods: not to be interpreted as an actual WTB request, besides, I'm pretty sure you'd beat me to it anyhow...)

18. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I would say it depends on if you view it as a problem. If you have no plans to sell the coin and it is something you like and collect, then it isn't a problem for you. (I know, I'm shallow)

And from what I've learned here, it seems there are different levels of cleaning. The acetone dip seems acceptable, while other methods are condemned. I think what I tend to value most is sharpness of the details.

spirityoda and Browns Fan like this.
  19. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

IMO from what I read there are very few Morgan dollars that have not been cleaned in there long lifetime. Unless slabbed and not being listed as cleaned I would assume that's an uncleaned coin, it's not hard to artificially tone coins now, who could really tell.

serafino likes this.
  20. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

“Cleaning” is a continuum. On one end there is properly cleaned in a manner deemed market acceptable by the TPG’s. Then there are different degrees of improper cleaning, ranging from being wiped with a rag and having a few extra hairlines, to being scrubbed with a Brillo pad or polished to an unnatural shine. The reduction in price would depend on severity. I would avoid “polished” like the plague. “Cleaned” could be a different story.

21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It’s easy to just say spot, but dollars are and have always been (at least over the last 30+ years) fairly easy to sell at a modest premium above it.

Kentucky and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted