Buying world coins on eBay from China.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by E Pluribus Unum, Jul 21, 2018.

1. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

Hello,
    I recently developed an interest in world coins. I have bought a few coins lots (for example 1 pound lots, 5 pound lots, etc.), but now I am starting to get duplicates as I continue to buy lots. So, I decided to buy lots from different countries. There appears to be a few nice lots from eBay for Chinese coins, but the vendors are from China. I have reservations about purchasing coins from China. I am afraid that they are either fake or poor quality. Can anyone here provide me with a vendor or a link to a vendor of Chinese coins (or Asian coins in general for that matter)?
    Thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Act on this. DON'T. DO. IT! "China" and "legitimate" are NEARLY incompatible words.

4. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

That's what I figured. With so many stories about the Chinese trying to pass off fake Morgan Dollars, I wanted to lean on the side of caution.
    Thanks,
    Marco

5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

There are some, albeit not too many, legitimate China based sellers with quality inventory selling on ebay. Of course always pay attention to their feedback and confirm the certs. Also depends what you are buying. If Morgans, for example, may want to just keep it domestic.

6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

These days it's no longer that simple. Sellers are doing everything they can to make a dollar off you.

Basic rule of thumb is know what you are buying. Locations no longer matter. The latest list of counterfeit Chinese coins are based in Spain, Albania and even some rouge sellers based in larger countries such as Australia, Canada, US etc.

Best advice I could give is start from low grade examples and work you way up. Always refer to lots of pictures and don't be afraid to ask. That said, because counterfeiters are always out there to improve on their wares - experts can't be too generous in explaining all details.

In short, you must become a 'semi' expert - after all that's the challenge and excitement in numismatics.

britannia40 likes this.
  7. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Counterfeits and fakes abound and most are from China .. however, there are European dealers who by huge wholesale lots of the Chinese fakes, so they are all over. If buying on Ebay, carefully look at his feedback for the last year. Also, carefully look at what he has for sale and what he has sold before. If he has 12 coins up for auction in separate lots, and all 12 are hard-to-find, stay away. There is no Ebay dealer who just happens to have the scarcest certain coin for sale and no "ordinary" stuff.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Check the dealers. My dealer sells foreign coins by the pound, 7.50 per pound without mexican coins ( he is 4 miles from the border} or $5 with. He sells about 50 lbs a week. I bought 3 lbs to give mainly to the young visitors to the coin club over time. Many other dealers do similar things. Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted