Buying "unsearched" rolls or bulk?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Jeepfreak81, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

Hey all, so I've played with a little bit of Coin roll searching over the years and used to check my pocket change quite frequently. I'm starting to get a little more serious about my collection and collecting habits. However, after reading LOTS of stuff here at CT and other places I get the feeling this has turned into a needle in the hay stack situation. Sounds like maybe some places are pulling silver out as they sort for example.

That being said, I still have some interest especially seems I have coin folders with holes that I'd like to fill. What's the word on buying rolls or bulk amounts of coins on eBay or other places. I know the claim of "unsearched" doesn't mean much, the coins could have been searched before or they could just be less than truthful. But I'm wondering if you guys have had any good luck or respectable places that you would pay more than face value to acquire coins from and search through?

PS - My search didn't turn up much so I hope this hasn't been beaten to death already.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yes, this has been beaten to death many times, but is better to ask than assume.

Generally speaking, avoid such offerings as if the plague. While OBW rolls do exist, they're not likely to fall into your lap on eBay and for good reason. Most of what is offered is anything from outright scams to salted rolls, but the one common denominator is that the buyer doesn't win.

Kentucky and tommyc03 like this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Books is quite correct. With coin wrapping machines readily available and even being able to purchase old original bank wrappers, your luck will be slim. The only luck I ever had was when I was a teenager and purchased rolls from Virg Marshall. They were all original rolls and I was very fortunate to have hit pay dirt many times with those rolls. But that was then and this is now. Once in awhile a original Mint sewn bag will show up here and there, but again, these can be re-sewn with a sewing machine.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I used to scoff at the thought of coin roll searching... That was until last week... I helped a friend with his inherited collection. He was not a collector and his fathers collection was huge..... Long story short, I sent him to the bank with $1700.00 in rolled nickels and rolls of uncirculated state quarters. It took us two large Tupperware boxes and a hand truck to get all that to his car..... So I know that I personally put $1700.00 worth of cool stuff for somebody to find back into circulation!

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Just to be clear: no one is suggesting there isn't good stuff still to be found in circulation. There certainly is even if not as fruitful as it once was. The issue here is buying rolls (as opposed to acquiring them from a bank or store at face) for the purpose of searching. The former is fine and risks only one's time while the latter is as close to walking into a sure bet sham as they come.

7. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

Thanks for confirming my suspicions about these unsearched rolls. At least if I get skunked from bank rolls I'm not out any money. Sure would be nice to get ahold of some unopened rolls from even 20 or 30 years ago.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

They are out there. Two years ago I visited my dealer friend in New Hampshire and he had around ten rolls of 1994 P cents. Newer looking wrappers but they were loaded with die clashes. Got them for face after my other purchases. What was nice is that they all probably came from the same original box as I could follow the progression of the clashes from minor to major. It was a treat and fun. Not worth a whole lot, but for face, still worth the effort.

9. Richard gladfelter

Richard gladfelter Well-Known Member

Keep searching,you never know what's in those rolls. And sometimes the good stuff comes in crw,as I found out today.

10. Richard gladfelter

20180313_225452.jpg found this lastweek, so it is worth searching as long as you have fun and find something cool to keep you going.

Randy Abercrombie and tommyc03 like this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Bravo! VERY nice die crack. And I would have to assume an early die failure as the rest of the details look pretty good.

12. Richard gladfelter

I've been searching all the 2015s I can get my hands on trying to find the progression.nothing yet but I'm going now to pick up 4 sealed boxes,fingers crossed.

tommyc03 likes this.
  13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Best of luck to you on this. It can be a lot of fun (but eye stressing). The 1994 P's I searched had a nice clash progression across the ten or so rolls. Started in the 3rd bay and eventually progressed across through the 9th bay. The 2017's so far are as usual, just the top left of the shield but there is a little progression. Starting with a pre die crack depression, then a light crack, followed by a bigger crack along with a chip. And midway a light crack starts to appear on the O in One. I'm not sure what is really going on with these but there seems to be a high stress area on all of these on the left side of the coin. Even on the obverse, the letters get flattened on the left side.

Draft saved Draft deleted