Buying the coin or the label?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dima, May 29, 2020.

1. Dima

Dima Member

Hmm perhaps we're talking about slightly different things. My understanding is (and I could be wrong) the ASE with the WTC label were located in a vault at the base of the WTC wreckage. I believe they were already minted and the special label only designates that the coins were recovered from ground zero.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Or not. Back in the day many collectors viewed those World Trade Center surviver slabs as "blood money."

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The logic just doesn’t add up. Being recovered from a building is a variety but being minted at a different mint isn’t? They either both are or they both aren’t from a discussion standpoint.

Even your response proves that as what different source metal as a ground zero recovery coin?

Being minted at a different mint does actually make the coin different than one minted elsewhere, the recovery coins are just historical not varieties.

And no I don’t wanna hear anything from the peanut gallery like I am somehow dismissing the significance of that horrendous attack on the USA

5. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Wonder if we'll ever know how many ASE's have been minted at the Philadelphia mint for 2020. If we can find that out, it may lend value to these otherwise inflated price coins. IMHO mintage figures do mean something. Plus this is supposed to be the last year ASE's are minted with the present reverse.

6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

How they were marketed 19 years ago by sociopathic profiteers does not change the historical significance of these coins.

serdogthehound likes this.
  7. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

I agree

At the end of the day is it fundamentally different then Shipwreck coins? People died on those ships

Heck you could say Blood Money on these emergency issues as well. They are being made because of a Pandemic that has killed 100,000 people

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  8. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

you think that is silly, the other day saw an ad for a coin, where they said Denver mint, and it was a San Francisco mint, error on pcgs label and the guy wanted 400.00 for a 35.00 coin

9. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

I stumbled across this on eBay today. They are even offering a 33% discount!
    75F9D193-E186-4AF7-A3B5-F51964129B37.png

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

A shipwreck is a bit different. Those are usually the result of an act of God, unless it's human error, such as two ships colliding. 9/11 was an act terrorism.

I felt the same way about the World War I commemorative coin. I didn't buy one because I saw nothing to celebrate about the that war. It settled nothing and killed millions of people. In fact the peace that came out of it sowed the seeds for World War II.

Draft saved Draft deleted