Buying Silver Hoard From Estate Sale

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Silver Searcher, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

How about a post with words and pictures?
    And judging by the title, not coin roll hunting.

Blissskr, Bman33 and John77 like this.
  4. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Dittos. I don't watch the videos and I presume neither do most other members.

Bman33 and imrich like this.
  5. John McRaney

John McRaney New Member

I turned it off immediately. I am here for coin news, not videos

Bman33 likes this.
  6. BenL

BenL New Member

That's a pretty sweet score Silver Searcher. I for one enjoy videos, so that's why I'm commenting here instead of grumbling about things I don't enjoy. :)

7. yankee doodle

yankee doodle Member

Great job! You sound young and I hope you really are b/c our hobby needs more young souls like you. How old are you my friend?

8. HOWARD GOTKIN

HOWARD GOTKIN Member

Sounds like you cleaned up!

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Just a friendly warning, but the powers that be don't take kindly to self serving YouTube postings, and I would guess this especially true when they're one's only "contribution" here.

Blissskr, Paul M. and John77 like this.
  10. noname

noname Well-Known Member

I don't think he thought it through, It was probably unintentional.

11. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I watched a small amount of your video. When you describe a coin, be sure to mention the mintmark as well as the year it was minted.

John77 likes this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Your video indicates you didn't do too badly at all. However, as a member, I like still photos much more. Makes it possible to study what you have more carefully. Welcome to CT!:happy:

13. BooksB4Coins

I realize that, and is why prefaced with "just a friendly warning"... ;)

John77 likes this.
  14. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

These videos are on other boards and their CRH threads too, FYI.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just a friendly correction - there is absolutely nothing wrong with him posting that video. It does not violate our rules in any way.

16. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Unless I am misreading this, I thought the main point of the post was that this was in the wrong thread, since getting coins from an estate sale isn't Coin Roll Hunting.

Personally, I don't mind the post at all, but it's in the wrong section.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  17. BooksB4Coins

No? Well, then you may want to talk to your good buddy Jim because according to him this is "self promotion" and on at least a handful of occasions I've watched him issue his little warnings to people who've posted their own videos.

Perhaps this just another welcomed example of "mod discretion" even if it goes against you or your own rules though...

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There could easily be cases of when a video, or even pictures, did violate the rules. All I am saying is this particular one does not.

Self-promotion, as defined for our purposes in the rules here at CT must include - some reference to items being offered for buy, sell, or trade; or be directing readers to a sales oriented website - in order for it to even BE self-promotion.

If you, or anyone else, ever sees an example of a mod doing or saying something counter to that - then click on the Report button and I'll take care of it.

19. BooksB4Coins

I understand and certainly appreciate your fairness on the matter. That said, I can point to instances where, short of a long stretch, none of your qualifiers were met yet open warnings were still given. However, I think, and this is an assumption on my part, his concern was that the forum was being used as a vehicle for increasing views, and therefore viewed as self-promotion.

My initial post was only intended to possibly save the OP from feeling a certain someone's wrath, and not to cause him any undue grief. The respectful clarification is appreciated, and he has my sincere apologies.

20. Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher Active Member

Just Trying To Show My Finds

21. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

We're more than happy to see your finds and view your videos. That said, I think the main point that people are trying to make is this is the "Coin Roll Hunting" page, and not the "Buying Hoards at Garage Sales" page. I believe this particular video should be in the "Coin Chat" section and not here. I see the lead thread on that forum right now is "Antique Store Find."

Draft saved Draft deleted