Buying on E-bay problem

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jerryc39, Aug 6, 2021.

1. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

Recently I was high bidder on a large cent. Paid for item through PayPal. Got a notification that a shipping label had been created. After a couple days I contacted seller and asked if he going to ship coin that day. He then told me he had put my coin along with 3 others in a mailbox. Fast forward a few days and there is no record of PO ever receiving it. I believe the seller thought the final selling price was too low and never shipped the coin. Am sure I will get my money back but would have rather had the coin. What kind of feedback would you leave for the seller?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Complete negative,never happen to me before.If you won the coin no matter what the seller should honor the auction and do what is right.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

100% negative feedback. Does anyone really put coins to ship that are boxed, addressed and ready for pickup in their mailbox? I don’t think so.

serafino, wxcoin and spirityoda like this.
  5. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

There is a possibility that the PO never logged into their system, and therefore it doesn't show up in tracking. This has happened to me as a seller on a couple of occasions. All of a sudden tracking indicates it was received by the buyer. You may want to give it a few more days and see if maybe it magically appears.

6. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

in 2019 I won an auction for 5 W quarters. it was War in the Pacific and it was right after the release of the design, and I won it for $25, about $5 each. So I paid right after auction and the seller contacts me saying he was refunding me, it sold too low and he could get an easy $50 each for them by relisting them, gave me a sob story on how it was unfair of me to win it for that low.. so he refunds me and relists them, and

He took a hit on his feedback from me. Ebay also took a hit, it was the last time I tried to buy something on ebay. I'm not going to use a site that does nothing about people honoring the auctions and fulfilling it. A seller can just say "nope" and walk away and all you can do is ding them, which ebay will remove for them.... no thanks.

I'm not buying on auctions to over pay, I'm looking for a deal. if nobody will honor the deal and ebay not only won't force the issue, but will help them out of the negative feedback, there's no reason for me to be there.

7. jerryc39

it was a blue PO mailbox.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

So the seller claims he dropped them off in a blue collection box? In over 14 years of working for and managing a post office in a town with 5 blue boxes I never heard of anyone ever doing that.

serafino likes this.
  9. jerryc39

I have shipped lots of padded envelopes by putting them in blue boxes with no issues. Thats why I have a hard time believing the PO never got them and logged them in.

Stevearino and Evan Saltis like this.
  10. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Why stop there...??? If you want the coin keep on the seller to get an answer...inform him via eBay contact format in a business/courteous way of the 'no record of shipping' status and ask him where your coin is, etc. See if you get another answer this time. EBay monitors that, for what it may/may not be worth, but at this point can't hurt. Curious if the seller had 100% or near (99.9, etc) positive feedback, and with high numbers of established sales...? All said/done, not sure any negative feedback stays...think it can be removed nowadays after a short time, or something similar...? Would still leave it if nothing changes...after you get your money back (and go by eBay rules for doing that)...plus don't spare the details of what happened. The other oddity to me on this...I never got a "notification that a shipping label had been created" unless it was because I had initiated/requested to return an item. Strange.

Mountain Man likes this.
  11. jerryc39

You always see label created when you punch in the tracking #. I have been in contact with the seller a few times. He states he has a case # with the PO about the 4 items that went missing. He denies not shipping the coin. I could be wrong in my theory about not ever shipping it. Thats why the feedback issue is hard to deal with.

12. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Sometimes parcels don't get scanned until they reach a regional center. That can sometimes take 2 or 3 days. Not many people would go to the expense of printing a label they didn't intend to use when they can blow smoke for free.

jerryc39 likes this.
  13. jerryc39

label was printed last Saturday. No record of receiving it from PO

14. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Even if the PO didn’t scan it in when it was mailed. It should have processing scans from the plants. A lack of any scans is a red flag.

jerryc39 likes this.
  15. jerryc39

Thats why i question he ever really mailed it.

serafino likes this.
  16. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I have to disagree with almost everyone here. I've been in exactly the same place as the seller. This has happened to me multiple times. You drop the package in the blue collection box and then it doesn't get scanned in. Sometimes it never does appear. Sometimes it suddenly shows up at some regional sorting facility in Indianapolis three weeks later, even though you're sending it from Illinois to Minnesota. Give the seller a break. The USPS is all messed up right now and even though 95% of mailings go just as they should, some of them go disastrously wrong. Not every seller has time to go to the post office every day to get their packages scanned. I've started doing this on higher value items after getting burned in cases like this a few times, but it's just annoying to have people accuse you of not shipping when you know you did the right thing and the post office dropped the ball again. You're protected as the buyer no matter what so just give it a chance and see what happens. Two or three weeks to arrive is not out of the question during these times.

ddddd, ksparrow, PlanoSteve and 8 others like this.
  17. jerryc39

Good points as well. I am trying to be patient with this issue and hope I am wrong about seller actually.

Stevearino likes this.
  18. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'd withhold feedback for as long as you can, and see if the coin surfaces for sale again, on eBay and elsewhere. If it does, you'll likely have evidence to pursue him / her as a bad seller.

If it doesn't eventually show up in your hands or elsewhere, I'd probably leave a neutral for failure to ship the coin with tracking.

wxcoin, tommyc03 and jerryc39 like this.
  19. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

That's a tough one. I stopped leaving feedback years ago.

20. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Listen to @Hiddendragon. Patience is a virtue. Sadly we live in a world of wanting everything yesterday and of course, the world of Amazon. (Not pointing fingers, it's just a fact) It is a shame tracking was not used but then the onus to make right is on the seller. I ship quite often and have many stories to tell about delays, tracking or not, but in the end have lost extremely little to the system. Ebay's posted expected times for receiving a package are a joke as even a clerk at the post office will tell you it's always a best case scenario if all goes well.

ddddd, UncleScroge, wxcoin and 3 others like this.
  21. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

I sold a coin a few weeks ago and this is exact thing actually happened to me.

After the 3rd day, I messaged the buyer promising it was picked up.

On the 6th day, it magically showed up on the USPS website at the destination post office.

Give it a few more days before you get too upset.

ddddd, mrweaseluv, wxcoin and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted