Buying my graded 1916-D Mercury

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Thomas R Reynolds, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Thomas R Reynolds

Thomas R Reynolds Active Member

Since you guys in my last thread assured me buying this coin graded should be my only choice in the last month I have been looking very seriously at the big three graders. My choice is limited to 6 to 10 grading (maybe a 12 if the price is right). Anything higher is out of my price range. Now in looking I seem to find that the coins graded by ANACS are nicer than others in the same grade from either PCGS and NCG. This happened more than once to my searches. ANACS would have been my last choice. Would I be wrong in buying ANACS over the others? Is it possible that the photos are just better? I am only talking about the 16_D mercury I looked at. I know you are you are out there waiting to get back to me so lets hear some responses. Thanks in advance.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am not sure what you are asking. I have a low grade 16-D that I sent to ANACS some years back. I believe they graded mine accurately.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Buy the coin, not the slab. If an ANACS coin appeals to you over the NGC or PCGS, then why go against your own feelings?

Chris

5. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

I've had similar experiences with Morgans, finding the nicest examples in ANACS, or more recently SEG, holders. Ended up having to choose the coin I liked best over the holder I trusted more;)

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Thomas R Reynolds

Thomas R Reynolds Active Member

To set things straight! I have found that when comparing only these 16-D Mercs in grades 8 and 10 from all 3 graders that ANACS coins are a better or nicer looking coin than those graded by PCGS or NCG. Some even seem to be a grade higher. Since I am now buying for my Grandson I am more careful than if I was buying for myself.

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The reason for buying a slabbed 16-D in lower grades is for authentication. All of the major TPGs should be able to differentiate between the fakes and real coins. They should also note any major problems, such as harsh cleaning or damage. Plus, grading Mercs in G-F isn't too difficult. You can pull up information on the grading sites and with a little study, be comfortable that you can tell the differences.

So as others have said, pick the coin that you like the best. I would recommend avoiding coins with problems, even if they are cheaper because they will have the same problems when it comes time to sell. And remember, if you don't agree with the grade, don't buy it. A quality coin will always be a quality coin.

8. markr

markr Active Member

I will be a bit contrary here. If it's a one and done thing, that is, this is the only coin you'll ever buy for your Grandson and it's the only coin he'll ever acquire, I weakly agree with the idea of buying whatever appeals to you.

But if you are planning on buying more to give to him or if you hope he will buy more himself, then I'd go PCGS. If they have little interest in collecting, I'd rather my kids have a collection of PCGS coins rather than ANACs coins because PCGS coins are easier to sell. If they have an interest in collecting, I'd prefer PCGS because I believe that, on the average, those coins are a little nicer than ANACs or NGC and I'd like them to have a nice collection.

This said, regardless of the slabbing company, your Grandson is fortunate to be getting such a nice coin!

9. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Seems PCGS and NGC (with NGC being the lesser offensive of the two) both are sometimes overly critical. Sometimes ANACS just gives the more 'real world' grade, so to speak. The top two will command the highest prices overall for sure but I think their overly critical process lends to people cracking them out and resubmitting them so often. Just my opinion.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Always buy the coin, not the slab. An ANACS coin may crossover easier and you'll receive a better grade. Just buy the coin you like and buy it at the best price you can get.

Draft saved Draft deleted