Buying coins with the market in a downward Spiral

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jfscmedic, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I remember when you needed both the red book and the blue book to see the difference between buying and selling prices. It was an eye opener.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

You'd need to be independently wealthy to overlook G, AG and even Fr in Early Date Large Cent collecting. I presume that's not an area of interest for you.

Mainebill likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Not yet.

5. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I would take a problem free well worn G over a higher grade problem coin any day. I think the TPG's have done a good job of differentiating the problem coins which has lowered their price. Dealers can't pass them off for straight graded prices like they were able to before. Now they trade at the discount they deserve.

asheland likes this.
  6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I don't have time to read this whole thread after reading the last one, but to the OP.... I'd go in with very low expectations for anybody claiming there's a coin collection that's completely undocumented and nobody knows what its worth. But that's just me. Coin collection is an extremely broad term.

7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I don't mind problem coins with the appropriate discount. I just wouldn't pay for one at the problem free price. As a matter of fact, I just recently reacquired one with problems, but far more details than I could afford otherwise.
    [​IMG]

It is probably a $2,000 -$3,000 coin without the problems. I paid $400. Like I say, appropriate discount.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Mainebill, NSP, asheland and 4 others like this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

upload_2017-12-13_16-50-4.png

The Reverse in case you're interested.

9. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Well, for those that can afford the high grade coins, I am very, very happy for you and I really enjoy seeing your pics and latest purchases. Being old and living on social security, I am not one of those. Don't belittle our average circulated coins, AG and G collections. And don't belittle those that do collect them. I collect for the for the pure old pleasure of it. I'll die with them and then someone else can find that my collection is worthless. I have Mercury dimes, Walking Liberty Halves in DELUXE Whitman albums, which I feel was a big investment over the standard albums, and various other silver odds and ends. I pretty much only buy silver coins for my collection and use a system of no more than three times the melt value to buy them. Crazy? Maybe, but it is my backyard to play in. At least my collection will be worth at lease 1/3 what I have in it, unless the bottom falls out of silver prices, but I ain't worried about that either. LOL. Kids and old poots like me can still enjoy collecting this way. I quit worrying about worrying about it. If your in it to make money, be careful. If your in it to enjoy it, have fun. That is my 2 cents worth, although that is about 1/10th cent these days.

DonaldPH, Marshall, asheland and 5 others like this.
  10. GUNNER63736

PS. I am Blessed and really enjoy this forum also.

Marshall, asheland, Gregg and 2 others like this.
  11. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

If this isn’t about enjoying what you do, then what’s the point, after all? I like that there’s room for all kinds of approaches and that they can all be worth doing.

NCnovice and asheland like this.
  12. GUNNER63736

I 100% agree Ron. I sure hope I didn't sound like "My Way" is the best way. I was just saying, I guess, that coin collecting isn't dying as fast as some may think, and for that thought, I may be completely wrong. There will always be idiots like me that will stick in there for the fun of it. I have never collected anything in my life that I made money on. Gotta laugh to keep from crying. LOL

asheland and RonSanderson like this.
  13. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Ah.......the good old days!

asheland likes this.
  14. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

I don't understand why someone would eat a select or choice grade steak as opposed to prime grade but i am sure they taste better than a plate of dog feces.

15. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

I usually buy coins and antique silver in person but I have found at times, with patience, ebay can be a great place to locate a scarce item and once in a while a great deal can be had. It's all about finding that BIN listing that just went up! :D

And yes, the make an offer can be very good! I've had items I offered 50% of the asking price accept my offer!

16. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this before, but I have a condition that requires me to tale a pill at 3:00am (Mountain Time). I don't know way, but I have found some great eBay auctions ending at that time and have bought some coins and currency at really great prices. It not just people overseas, but there must be a lot of insomniacs in the US too, because I've won auctions in my time zone as well as other adjacent time zones.

asheland and Kasia like this.
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

Great tip, Mont. I am frequently up at 5AM Eastern - same time.

18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I have a condition sort of like that. I use a bipap and after about 5 hours, I have to get up and let my nasal passages rehydrate. I am always surprised to see auctions ending at that time of the morning, but they do.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

The sellers could be insomniac agnostic dyslexics - the people who stay up all night wondering if there really is a dog.

20. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Lots of insomniacs as well as those who only have from about 5 to 6 am for personal time.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

OTOH, SOMEBODY is up listening to “Coast to Coast”, or they wouldn’t bother broadcasting it.

NCnovice and asheland like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted