Buying coins with the market in a downward Spiral

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jfscmedic, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Ah, your dad taught you how to collect.
    For me it was the opposite. =)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Nah, right after this painting was made, I entered from behind that one column, kicked this dude's backside and took his stash. Try to keep up.

Gregg likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

I still have that 1963 proof set and the 1964 Red Book too. The set is still pristine; the Red Book is a bit worse for wear.

5. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the decline in prices has affected the collecting of Ancient coins, my major interest. I really don't pay all that much attention to pricing trends, so although I have been collecting these coins on and off since the late 1950's, it seems that ancients have retained their value, but I just may not be paying that much attention.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

In my limited exposure to ancients, my annual trek to the NYINC, I'd say ancients are doing okay.

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

- the coin hobby

C-B-D likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

It really is simple. It's not complicated at all. Are prices generally rising? If yes, that market segment is growing. If no, that market segment is shrinking. Period. No lame excuses about overvaluing in the past, no smoke and mirrors, no mumbo-jumbo. It's a binary choice, period.

9. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

This is not true.

Fish food at my local pet store is $27.00.
    I skip that noise and buy it on Amazon for $10.00 delivered.
    The demand is the same but the competition drove the price down.

To leave the impact of the internet out of this equation is silly.

Again, you could be right but it seems to me the decrease in prices meshes perfectly with the higher availability of coins thanks to the internet. To confuse lack of demand with 'my stuff is overpriced, available only in a small geographic area, and inconvenient to acquire' is how people go out of business.

baseball21 likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

I can see where someone with an Internet-centric life might perceive that to be the case. I'm not buying it. Prices, and participation, were falling well before eBay came along.

I buy coins (and a good many other things) where and how I do because I can get them for LOWER prices than I can find online.

I have an Amazon account and have for years; I just don't get to use it very often. I bid on coins on eBay a fair bit, but I usually lose because I won't go high enough.

11. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

You may be right about this; however, eBay has been around for 20 years.
    I think a very large portion of your market sense has been impacted by the internet.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

I just looked it up. I have been on eBay (my account) since December 12, 1998. In that time, I have SOLD exactly NO items and bought 110 items, or an average of 5.84 per year. This last year, I've been unusually active on eBay. 9 items bought.

Before that I also bought some coins from an old site called numismatists.com, which hosted private coin auctions for dealers and others.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Do you remember how "Maverick" was chosen to attend Top Gun? >>>>>>>> God help us!

Chris;)

14. V. Kurt Bellman

"Talk to me, Goose."
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    FBLfinder and cpm9ball like this.
  15. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Hmmm. I don't understand how this works. You never use the internet. But you bid on eBay quite a bit.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

A single local market on its own is irrelevant to the market as a whole. The coin market is no different then any other market. Some will be cheaper local, some cheaper online, in both cases the buyer is at the mercy of the supply available for each source. If we just looked at a single local market we could come to countless different conclusions which would vary greatly depending which one we look at.

I have no doubt that on you can get most things significantly cheaper than someone in LA, NYC, Boston ect which would each be a bigger slice of the market as a whole.

Gregg likes this.
  17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm gonna put on the brakes..........

You're gonna what?

18. V. Kurt Bellman

I have NEVER EVEN ONCE used an eBay BIN listing. Not ever. I bid on pure auctions, ... ONLY! I've never seen a "Buy It Now" listing that I didn't feel was overpriced.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

And salaries here are also lower in concert with those price levels.

20. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

I wish there was a downtrend in the coins I collect, pre-1860 Italian and Sicilian coins. With these I'm losing auctions all the time and BIN prices are extremely high. In the last 5 years I've seen prices climb both here on American eBay and Italian eBay. People are paying more for lesser grades

21. V. Kurt Bellman

The slide AWAY from U.S. coins is apparently fairly real.

Draft saved Draft deleted