Buying Boxes Of Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Stop Motion, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Stop Motion

Stop Motion New Member

Hey,
    I was wondering where the best place to purchase Boxes of uncirculated coins is. Is there a place you can get them for cost + shipping?
    I need 2 boxes of buffalo nickels. I was wondering, do you ask your bank to order them or can you order them from the FED or another Bank?
    Thanks in advance,
    SM

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Ask you bank--you should get them for face that thats all--your bank might already have them.

Now on other coins (cents, dimes, halves, dollar) I have tried to get the bank to order them for me but they say they can't (I talk to people who have worked in banks and they tell me it can be done you just have to keep trying)---

Speedy

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

About all you can do is ask around at the local banks.

5. Rabone

Rabone All around nice guy

Educational opportunity here. How many rolls in a box? Do all denominational "boxes" have the same number of rolls?
    Thanks for the education.

6. Rabone

Rabone All around nice guy

Well, I think a Google search has answered my own question. Here is what I found:

Cents: Standard color is RED and they hold 50 rolls ($25)
    Nickels: Standard color is BLUE and they also hold 50 rolls ($50)
    Dimes: Standard color is GREEN and they hold 40 rolls ($200)
    Quarters: Standard color is ORANGE and they hold 30 rolls ($300)
    Half Dollars: nothing found on those. Guess they don't count anymore
    Small Dollars: Standard color is GRAY and they hold 25 rolls ($500)

Is my Google information correct? Thanks.

7. Speedy

I think your googling (sp?) did just fine ;--)

Speedy

8. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

Half Dollars: Standard color is yellow and contains 50 rolls ($500)

I've bought way too many of these boxes to forget that info! :D

9. Stop Motion

Stop Motion New Member

Thanks guys!
    So i should just go into my bank and ask if they can order me boxes of nickels. How do they know they are going to get the Bison nickels?
    Does the bank charge you a fee to order them, if the bank doesn't have them?
    Thanks,
    sm

10. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

Stop Motion I have bought 7 cases from a bank 3 counties away from me in the last two weeks for my coin dealer. They said they could order at any time but one must understand a bank MUST get direct armored car service to get new coins. Many banks rotate their coins from branch to branch so they never have a need to order from the Federal Reserve. Now back to that bank I got to order those $100 boxes of buffalo nickels, well I paid $125 per box to get it done. It was done through a third party who actually banks at one of their branches and I have no idea who actually got the extra money as all I wanted and needed was to find something my dealer needed very badly to satisfy customer demands and he was willing to pay the extra money, which I might add was cheaper than his normal distributor, so everything worked out great and the fact that it was those precious P mint mark nickels that arrived this week was just icing on the cake! My dealer has taken care of my wife and I for years and any time I can give something back to him or his wife I will do so. This time I had a connection that he didn't! Check with your banks as we are hearing the banks around here are limiting the new nickels to one roll per customer per visit if they do get them. Personally I haven't found a bank in two counties that have had them so that is why I ventured over to another county and it worked!

11. Speedy

I don't think you should have to pay shipping---I got a box for face with out shipping.

Just ask and hope for the best.

Speedy

12. crystalk64

I wasn't paying shipping! I believe the correct word would be "bribe" money to get someone to order the darn things? Now if I were buying on Ebay I would be paying anywhere from $15 to $25 shipping plus a premium for the coins so actually I got my dealer a very good buy for the money!

13. Speedy

Terry--
    If I were you I would never pay someone $25 bucks to do there job.

I would go to the main bank in your area and make good friends (with the main guy there) and he will do anything he can for you.

I take in home-made deer jerkey and such and get what I need--

Speedy

14. crystalk64

Well Speedy, sounds like you are doing a little bribing to get what you need also? I have obtained buffalo nickels from my dealer, from dealers on Ebay, from individuals on Ebay, from friends on coin forums and from that bank about 60 or 70 miles away and fI don't feel bad about any of it. I had a tremendous amount of family, friends and co-workers counting on me for buffalo nickels (price I have to pay for being an avid coin collector) and I was glad to do it. I might add the only place I got the nickels AT COST was from other collectors on the coin forums I frequent and I really DO APPRECIATE their efforts but still, with shipping, I am paying a premium JUST LIKE BUYING FROM THE MINT, which I did also for my own personal family! One way or another I was going to have my buffalos!!!

15. Speedy

Well---some may call that a bribe but you have to know something else.

This guy went deer hunting when he was younger--he liked deer jerkey but didn't like the store kind...I gave it to him with out asking for anything back.

This is not a bribe---I just don't see why you should have to pay for what the bank is there for.

Speedy

16. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

Speedy,
    I think you are misunderstanding the point of banks. Unfortunately they are NOT "there for" collectors who want to fill their collections out at face value. They are there to make money and "wasting" (in the corporation's mind anyway) time trying to get new coins for individual collectors make them NO money at all (although one could argue that its good for them in the same way that advertizing is). It seems that you have found a bank/banker that you have a pretty good relationship with. (Deer hunting together...) But, the majority of us don't have banks willing to go out of their way to service the needs of collectors. This isn't bad, it just is the way businesses run. I too am lucky, in that I found a bank that will order boxes of coins for me from the FED, so I can get what I want, but in other places that I've lived, that wasn't the case.

Chris

17. crystalk64

Thank you Cave Troll for the great summary of a problem MOST of us have! Speedy I wasn't poking fun at your relationship with your banker! I think it is great and being a sportsman and enjoying the outdoors is also something to learn and hold on to! Just trying to point out that most banks could care less and if I can find someone 60 or 70 miles away to do me a favor (actually my dealer) it would be worth the extra cash. Guess it just comes down to how badly any of us want something? When it comes to coins I go the extra mile and believe me, when it comes to returning a favor for my dealer or his wife, I am more than ready to help them out! I have received rolls from forum members who went out of their way to purchase them, package them and send them my way! The least I can do is pay the shipping and the cost of the nickels and hope some day I can repay them with the same kindness! Lots of family and friends stashed nickels that came from forum members! I am a FIRM believer in "you get what you give"! And to have folks, whom I probably will never get the opportunity to meet, be such good "TRUSTED" friends is really overwhelming! Lots of good people left in this world and don't let anyone try to tell you different!

18. Stop Motion

Stop Motion New Member

Well, I was able to get $200 (100 Rolls) of bison Nickels! Hurray!:)
    They where not in the FED boxes just in the FED wrappers, but that's ok.
    I can't believe I was able tgo get that many at one time!
    I'm really excited, sorry if i'm bragging a little.
    SM

19. jimmy-bones

jimmy-bones Senior Member

From my experience on ordering coins from a bank. (About $1,000 / week) Typically only Commercial Banks will do it. Neighborhood Banks tend to shy away, if they will at all. The best thing to do is to contact either the branch manager or vault manager. They may say they don't order coin from the Fed, but they all do, and must when their reserves run low or business customers need coin. The banks I deal with have scheduled Fed runs every Thursday (Know as Half-dollar day in my house between me and my son!!) The problem is that the bank must order the coin in amounts prescribed, such as in complete boxes (referenced in a previous post).

Businesses receive coins in all denominations from their Banks periodically for making change. The Banks biggest concern is simply moving money back and forth. The Bank does not want to order it for you and simply return it next week after you searched it. Be clear form the Bank you request the order that you will not re-deposit it with them. Use another Bark for this. I hope this helps, and stand strong. Banks don't typiocally want to for collectors, but you would be surprised waht a friendly conversation with a Bank manager(s) could accomplish.

20. Speedy

CaveTroll and Terry---I know your not picking on me I just can't seem to see why ya'll don't get a better bank---I guess I get it because I live in a town that has 20-30+ banks...

All I can say is that I hope you find a better bank soon!!

Speedy

21. jd3681

jd3681 Senior Member

Jimmy-bones, quick question. What do you look for when you search all those halves? Just curious because I am starting the half dollar thing as well. Any suggestions would be much helpful.

Thanks

JD

Draft saved Draft deleted